10~Hufflepuff V Gryffindor

"So neither of you have even made the tiniest bit of progress on who Nicolas Flamel is?" Hermione asked Harry and Ron disappointedly. 

"Can you blame them?" Y/N asked before turning to Harry. "So, are you sure he moved that mirror? I'd want to know what it'd show me."

They had almost given up hope of ever finding Flamel in a library book, once the term had started, they were back to skimming through books for ten minutes during their breaks. Harry and Y/N had even less time than the other two because Quidditch practice had started again.

Wood was working the team harder than ever. Even the endless rain that had replaced the snow couldn't dampen his spirits. The Weasleys complained that Wood was becoming a fanatic, and Y/N had hope for the team. If they won their next match, against Hufflepuff, they would overtake Slytherin in the House Championship for the first time in seven years. 

Then, during one particularly wet and muddy practice session, Wood gave the team a bit of bad news. He'd just got very angry with the Weasleys, who kept dive-bombing each other and pretending to fall off their brooms.

"Will you stop messing around!" he yelled. "That's exactly the sort of thing that'll lose us the match! Snape's refereeing this time, and he'll be looking for any excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!"

George Weasley really did fall off his broom at these words.

"Snape's refereeing?" he spluttered through a mouthful of mud. "When's he ever refereed a Quidditch match? He's not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."

The rest of the team landed next to George to complain, too.

"It's not my fault," said Wood. "We've just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn't got an excuse to pick on us."

The rest of the team hung back to talk to each other as usual at the end of practice, but Y/N and Harry headed straight back to the Gryffindor common room, where they found Ron and Hermione playing chess. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something Harry, Y/N, and Ron thought was very good for her.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," said Ron when Harry sat down next to him. "I need to concen–" He caught sight of Harry's face. "What's the matter with you? You look terrible."

Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry filled the other two in about Snape's sudden desire to be a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play," said Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," said Ron.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.

"Really break your leg," said Ron.

"You can't," Y/N said, finally speaking up. "Gryffindor hasn't got a reserve Seeker, we can't play without you."

"That's just selfish, Y/N." Hermione scolded. 

"Snape would need to be barmy to try anything like that in the open." Y/N argued. "McGonagall would tear him a new one!" 

At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. How he had managed to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess, because his legs had been stuck together with what they recognized at once as the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor Tower.

Everyone fell about laughing except Hermione and Y/N, who both leapt up, Hermione performed the counter-curse. Neville's legs sprang apart and Y/N got him to his feet, he was trembling. 

"What happened?" Y/N asked him, leading him over to sit with Harry and Ron.

"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."