6~ The Forbidden Corridor

"I can't believe you're going to do this, Harry." "Said Hermione, wearing a pink dressing gown and a frown. 

"You!" said Ron furiously. "Go back to bed!"

"I almost told your brother," Hermione snapped. "Percy – he's a Prefect, he'd put a stop to this."

"Come on," Harry said to Ron. He pushed open the portrait of the Fat Lady and climbed through the hole. Hermione wasn't going to give up that easily. She followed Ron through the portrait hole, hissing at them like an angry goose. 

"Don't you care about Gryffindor, do you only care about yourselves, I don't want Slytherin to win the House Cup and we've already lost all the points I got from Professor McGonagall for knowing about Switching Spells."

"Go away."

"All right, but I warned you, you just remember what I said when you're on the train home tomorrow, you're so –"

But what they were, they didn't find out. Hermione had turned to the portrait of the Fat Lady to get back inside and found herself facing an empty painting. The Fat Lady had gone on a night-time visit and Hermione was locked out of Gryffindor Tower.

"Now what am I going to do?" she asked shrilly.

"That's your problem," said Ron. "We've got to go, we're going to be late."

They hadn't even reached the end of the corridor when Hermione caught up with them. 

"I'm coming with you," she said.

"No, you aren't" 

"D'you think I'm going to stand out here and wait for Filch to catch me? If he finds all three of us I'll tell him the truth, that I was trying to stop you and you can back me up."

"You've got some nerve -" said Ron loudly.

"Shut up, both of you!" said Harry sharply "I heard something." 

It was a scratching sound.

"Mrs. Norris?" said Ron squinting through the dark. 

"Do I look like a cat to you?" said Y/N, scratching a furious rash on his arm.

"What happened to you?" asked Ron.

"Detention with Snape, remember?" Y/N said jerkily. "Bloke 'dropped' some plant on my arm and it's been like this since, I swear I'm going to curse the git into next century."

"That's horrible," Hermione gasped, "and don't say that about a teacher."

"What're you doing out here?" Y/N asked Hermione, before turning to Ron and Harry. "You two still going to that duel?"

"Yes, they are, maybe you could talk some sense into them Y-"

"Cool, I'll tag along." 

They flitted along corridors striped with bars of moonlight from the high windows. At every turn, they expected to run into Filch or Mrs. Norris, but they were lucky. They sped up a staircase to the third floor and tiptoed towards the trophy room.

Malfoy and Crabbe weren't there yet. The crystal trophy cases glimmered where the moonlight caught them. Cups, shields, plates, and statues winked silver and gold in the darkness. They edged along the walls, keeping their eyes on the doors at either end of the room. Y/N took out his wand in case Malfoy leapt in and started at once. The minutes crept by.

"He's late, maybe he's chickened out," Ron whispered.

Then a noise in the next room made them jump. Y/N had only just raised his wand when they heard someone speak – and it wasn't Malfoy