Chapter 31

Lizzie closed the front door behind her. She no longer had to pretend like she was unfamiliar with the Salvatore School. She didn’t have to hide how comfortable she was inside its wall. It really was like coming home. 

Her father watched as she drew her chalk lines cleanly and laid out the candles. When it was time, she smiled at him softly. 

“You should go find Hope,” Lizzie said, crossing her legs and placing her palms on the tops of her thighs. “I have a feeling she’s going to be hit the hardest by it.”

Alaric nodded and ducked into the hallway. Lizzie took her time in closing her eyes, letting him get as far as he needed. 

She was about to do it. There would be no going back after she did. Everyone was going to remember her. Every part of her - the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

They were going to remember not remembering her too. All the things they said and did when they didn’t know who she was. All the relief they had from the burden of Lizzie Saltzman. They would remember a time when they were free of her. 

She paused. What if they hated her even more than they did before? What if yanking away their chance at living a happy life without her made them resent her even more? No.

She shook her head. She couldn’t let intrusive thoughts like that stop her. 

Incendia.” The wicks ignited at her command.

She was just about to start the spell when she remembered something else. Landon.

They were never that great of friends before. Mostly, she just called him names and made snarky comments about his presence. They just … didn’t have the same connection as they had now. 

If she brought back everyone’s memories, including his of her, there was a pretty good chance she would lose whatever good thing they had going now. What if when she brought all his memories back, he felt differently? What if the only reason he took to her was because of the fake memories Malivore gave him?

She closed her eyes again. She would just have to take that chance. Everyone deserved to make their own choices, after all.

Harae-tamai Kioku Yomigaerashi-tamae.”

The world went dark and silence. Lizzie was only half aware of her face getting closer and closer to the floor. 

And then nothing.