Chapter 11

It was late at night before Lizzie dared to venture out of her dorm. Only when the hallways had quieted down long after curfew did she feel safe showing her face in the halls. She walked silently, careful not to alert any teachers on their rounds or draw the attention of anyone else trying to sleep.

A good peanut butter and jelly would even her out. That's exactly what she needed. And they always tasted better from the Salvatore School kitchen. 

Her stomach rumbled as she was passing through the dark dining hall. She'd skipped lunch and dinner, not ready to face the stares and the whispers, let alone her sister or Penelope. 

The door to the kitchen creaked as she opened it. She was surprised to find the light on inside and even more surprised to find the curly haired boy bent over a slice of bread and a knife.

"Hi." Landon smiled when he saw who it was. 

"Hi?" Lizzie closed the door behind her and raised an eyebrow. 

"I don't suppose you came down for a midnight PB&J?" he joked, smashing his two pieces of bread together.

Lizzie nodded like she was appreciating what the universe decided to throw at her. "I did, actually."

"Really?" Landon tilted his head and his smile grew wider. "How do you like it?"

"Triangles, with the crusts cut off," Lizzie said, just to be an ass. She smirked at him as she leaned over the counter, smugness turning into surprise when he actually started to make her a sandwich. "Do you always come down here to eat in the middle of the night?" 

"Not usually. You?"

"I sort of skipped lunch and dinner," Lizzie admitted. 

Landon handed her half a sandwich, cut perfectly into a triangle with no crust. "Is there a reason you're skipping meals?"

Lizzie bit into her sandwich, hopping up on the counter before she answered. "It's just not my scene." 

"And what exactly is Lizzie Potter's scene?" Landon asked. He pulled up a stool and sat at her knees, tossing a piece of the leftover crust in his mouth. "No, wait - let me guess. A Star Wars convention? Harry Potter marathon? Saturday night with a Lord of the Rings book?" 

"Shut up." Lizzie rolled her eyes. "I think you're thinking of yourself."

"Whatever you say. I give it a week before you're asking me for my opinion on Ewoks." 

Lizzie rolled her eyes again and grabbed the second half of her sandwich. Landon stood up and started making another.

"What are you doing?" she asked as he dropped two more perfect triangles on her plate. 

"You said you skipped lunch and dinner." Landon snuck a glance at her confused face out of the corner of his eye as he screwed the jelly lid back on, fighting a growing smile. 

"You're ridiculous, you know that?"

"What's ridiculous is thinking two triangles is the best way to cut a sandwich," Landon countered, setting the jars aside.

Lizzie sat up straight, eyebrows rising, successfully riled up. "And how do you think a sandwich should be cut? Two rectangles?" She said it with so much disgust.

"Yes!" Landon threw out his arms, eyes practically popping out of his head. "Like a normal person!" 

"Well now I'm definitely not going to ask your opinion on Ewoks," Lizzie said, sliding off the counter. "I already know it's going to be wrong."

"It's an opinion!" Landon called after her as she left the kitchen. "By definition, it can't be wrong!"

"See you tomorrow, Landon!"