Chapter 1 : Mirabel's Gift Ceremony

A/N: The story will be from Mirabel's point of view unless specified otherwise. I do not own Encanto, the only ones I own are the characters I make up.

Trigger Warning for discussion of abuse and mentions of self harm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Abre Los ojos... open your eyes..." Abuela replies, "What do you see?"

"This is where our magic comes from?" I question excitedly, Abuela nods.

"Mm-hmm, this candle holds the miracle given to our family."

"How did we get a miracle?"

Abuela pulls me onto her lap as the candle grows brighter, as she speaks the candle reflects her story as she tells it, "Long ago when my three babies had just been born, your Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home. And though many joined us, hoping to find a new home... we could not escape the dangers... and your abuelo was lost. But in our darkest moment... we were given a miracle. The candle became a magical flame that could never go out and it blessed us with a refuge in which to live. A place of wonder..." "An Encanto..." "An Encanto. The miracle grew...and our house, our casita itself, came alive to shelter us. When my children came of age, the miracle blessed each with a magic gift to help us. And when their children came of age..."

"They got magic too."

"That's right... and together our family's gifts have made our new home a paradise. Tonight, this candle will give you your gift, mi vida. Strengthen our community, strengthen our home. Make your family proud."

Shortly, Casita interrupts informing them that it is time for the gift ceremony. My hands shake as I help Abuela up and I put on my shoes. Soon we are in front of my door, Abuela states, "Will you use your gift to honor our miracle? Will you serve this community and strengthen our home?"

I nod and then step up to my door, I touch the handle and the whole door starts to glow revealing my gift to be...

10 years later

I roll out of bed in my gorgeous room, and start to head down to help mama set up for breakfast, though when I get downstairs I see they all are already eating. "Of course, typical, why do I bother?" I think to myself and decide to go back upstairs, "No one really pays attention to me besides Antonio, sometimes Dolores and Camilo but Abuela keeps them busy. According to Abuela my gift isn't useful and I'm just a waste of a perfect miracle." I close the door and tell Casita, "Do not let anyone enter."

I open my journal and start to write, "I don't understand why abuela doesn't think my gift can be useful, I'm a telepath and a mind reader. How is that not useful? I can literally move objects with my mind and read what people are thinking. At first Abuela called me a freak because no other Madrigal's have more than one magical power, I have two that we know of. Abuela keeps everyone who cares about me busy and then has the others send verbal abuse my way. Meanwhile Tio Bruno vanished shortly after my gift ceremony and no one has seen him since, but of course Abuela blames me for his disappearance. Would anyone even notice if I disappeared too? I guess all I have is my trusty blade to escape with."

I close my journal and hide it in my bookshelf among my novels, no one would expect it there if they did come looking. I then go in my connected bathroom, I close the door and Casita locks the door behind me even though I can tell it doesn't want to. I grab my blade from its hiding spot and start slashing my arms and legs before getting into the bathtub for a bath. I sit in the bubble bath and cry my eyes out, hoping Dolores doesn't hear me.