33

Robin fell asleep before I did. I had to make sure my brain fell asleep before my body. My train of thought wouldn't stop running around. This whole time I thought I finally escaped my dad. When I finally forced myself to fall asleep, it was very early in the morning.

Probably around 3 or 4.

I woke up super late in the day. I got up panicked when I noticed Robin wasn't laying next to me. He came back into the room a couple seconds after and immediately noticed my panic. He walked over to me and sat down next to me on the bed. He was holding a new glass of water with ice in it and a small pill.

"Sorry Alina, I figured you'd might want some more medicine." He handed me the pill and the water. I took the medicine and drank the water slowly.

I didn't want the pity from anyone. I almost wish nobody knew about my father at all. I wish he never existed. I didn't want people to feel sorry for me or treat me differently. The only expectation is Robin since he's always gentle with me.

"So I guess no school today." I said in almost a whisper. My throat hurt and my voice sounded raspy, I guess all the yelling I'd been doing lately was finally getting to me.

"Not today. You deserve a break for a bit." Robin moved my messy hair out of my face and kissed my forehead.

"Robin."

"Yeah?"

"Can you not tell anyone. Not even Finn or Gwenny. I don't want them to know." I said, almost ashamed of myself. For some reason, I felt as if people knew my father existed, they'd think I'm just like him. I don't need another thing for people to make fun of me for.

"I won't tell a soul." He gave me a soft smile and stood up.

"I just want things to be as normal as possible." I said. Robin grabbed my hands and pulled me off the bed.

"Normal? Nothing about our lives is normal." He said with a small laugh I managed to crack a small smile and looked up at him.

"Alright fine. If you're up to it, Finn's baseball game is tonight, he invited us to go a couple weeks ago but you were too busy beating the shit out of those racist white girls." I was actually smiling now. Every time I think about standing up for myself, I feel a sense of pride wash over me.

"When is it?" I asked.

"At 6"

I think going to Finney's baseball game would cheer me up. Plus, I really missed my friends and I wanted to see them again. I didn't realize how late in the day I woke up but I guess that's what I get for going to sleep at 4 in the morning.

Since it was already so late in the day, it wasn't long until I was getting myself ready for the baseball game. I had nobody to impress but I didn't want to look homeless. Plus I liked it when Robin thought I was pretty.

Even though he's seen me at my ugliest, he still thinks I'm pretty without makeup.

I put on a decent looking outfit and tried my best to make it look like I wasn't in total pain from the other night. I walked out of the room and found Robin sitting in the living room with my mom. He stood up when he saw me and smiled.

"Ready to go?" He asked. I nodded and we both walked out the door. We walked down the street in the hot sun. I noticed as we walked, Robin kept looking over at me and smiling.

"What?" I asked with a slight smile. Robin quickly looked down at the ground and shook his head.

"You're just really pretty."

"You say that all the time Robin."

"Because it's true." He smiled over at me and I could practically feel my face turn red. We walked over to the bleachers once we got the the baseball field and found Gwenny sitting down in the very front row.

"Hey Gwenny." I smiled down at her and she jumped up to hug me.

"Alina! I've missed you!"

"You saw me last week." I laughed and sat down next to her. I looked around to try and find Donna. I figured she was here but I just didn't know where.

"Where's Finn?" Robin asked.

"Pitching. They're at 2 outs already." Gwenny said excitedly. We watched as Finn threw the ball and striked out the batter. We all cheered for him and he smiled proudly.

"I'll be right back." I stood up and walked around to the back of the bleachers. I saw Donna standing with some friends so I walked over to them.

"Hey Donna." I smiled at her and her face lit up. She looked really excited to see me. She hugged me and then turned to her friends.

"This is Alina. She's the one I was telling you about."

"Did you really beat up three girls at once." I laughed at the way it was worded, and shrugged.

"Not all at once but uh, something like that." Another girl stepped forward to speak.

"Why'd you do it?" She asked. She looked younger than me, probably ground Gwen's age.

"She was just calling me names. She threatened me a couple times and even broke skin." It felt nice to get along with Donna's other friends. After a couple conversations, Donna and I walked back over to Robin and Gwen.

She stopped me before we got there and gave me a serious look. She looked over to Finney and then back to me. She didn't have to say anything, I knew what she was feeling.

"I knew it!" I said excitedly. She shushed me so nobody would hear our conversation.

"Don't tell him please. I just don't know if he likes me back and I don't wanna get rejected you know."

"Donna I'm very very sure he likes you. Trust me, this is exactly like what happened with me and Robin." She smiled at the ground and rocked back and forth in her shoes.

"Im planning on coming to every game so I can support him."

"It's a start. Maybe try talking to him after." I suggested. She nodded and we continued to walk back to Robin and Gwenny.