He looks down at the floor somberly. ""Please don't joke like that, Elenora."

"I'm sorry, I'm just not used to seeing you like this and I want to see you smile," I tell him as I squeeze his hand again. "Come here." I tug on his hand and he scoots closer to me, but I pull him more and he leans over me, and the sounds he makes to control his crying is heart wrenching.

I fight through the pain when I lift my left arm to put both my arms around him.

"I love you so much, Elenora."

"I love you, Rico. And I'm not going anywhere, you're stuck with me, just like I'm stuck with you, forever."

He leans away enough to hold my face and leans in to kiss me so soft, like he's afraid of hurting me. I smile as I wipe the tears from his face and he leans his forehead on mine, closing his eyes.

The door opens and Pia walks in, in her white coat. "Well, isn't this the best surprise!" She smiles. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised Rico didn't inform me you woke up, and I don't blame him for wanting some time with you. He hasn't left your side for four days."

"Four days?" I look back at Rico's eyes that still look sad. "Have you eaten? Slept? Please tell me you've spent time with Matty."

"He has spent time with Matty but everything else, no. I thought about slipping him something, but you know the whole ethical part kept me from doing it," Pia smiles at him, rubbing her hand down his face softly, wiping the tears still falling as he keeps watching me.

Pia puts the blood pressure cuff on my arm and hits the machine for it to start squeezing.

"Matty's been in here everyday with you." Rico's hand caresses my face. "We laid with you and he did tummy time." The corner of his mouth lifts. "He kept trying to nurse, but Pia said it might not be safe with the anesthesia and medications you were under, but she said it was okay to have you pump to keep the milk production going, while you were under. I didn't think you would mind because I know you love nursing Matty."

I smile. "I'm surprised by how much you're using his nickname."

He lets out a small chuckle. "It's better than the one Serafina keeps trying to use."

"What is it?"

"Baby Turk."

"Turk?"

"Yeah, she said Matty reminds her of the little monkey in the Tarzan movie, who had long hair like Matty's, especially now that it sticks up all over the place."

"Sorry to interrupt, but I just want to ask you some quick questions, Elenora, aside from the soreness you must be feeling," Pia comes up on my other side, "Are you feeling any pain?"

"Just when I lift my arm."

"All things considered, that's not bad. I'm sure Rico told you, you lost a lot of blood, we had to give a couple of transfusions. And with being Anemic, it's also why you slept a long time, your body needed to recover, dolcezza." She tells me as she cups my face. "But I loved seeing little Matty here everyday; he sure is handsome." (sweetheart)

"Just like his dad." I smile at Rico.

There's a commotion outside and I groan. "Kiss me before everyone bombards me, please." I pull him towards me and he leans in, and pecks my lips three times. But I hold him close to me, lingering on the last kiss before the door bursts open.

"There's mamma, tesoro mio," My mom's voice reaches my ears and I look over at my cute little boy in her arms. I can't help the tears that come to my eyes when he smiles wide and kicks his little legs. My sisters all rush in with my mom, along with Clara and Domani, Ciccio and Mostro. (My darling)