Chapter 1 - So aliens are real?

"Elliott?! Elliott." Called Y/n entering the ex TV shop from the main entrance, she had received something like 8 calls from the man, her mother had to go through all of them while her daughter was at work at the hospital. "Elliott? You called 8 times, are you alright?" She asked creeping inside the door slowly, the place had no light on in the front, the only source of light coming in was the one filtered by the dirty windows that faced the road.

"Y/n! Oh Y/n, you'll never believe what just happened to me today." Elliott had run to the railing, he was looking downstairs from the first floor, excitement running through his veins. "It might be real, I think I saw one this morning!!" Y/n slowly climbed the stairs to reach him, not sure if he was in the right state of mind to be approached, it turned out he was.

"You mean like... an alien?" She asked skeptical, she herself had never believed in those little stories about U.F.Os and what not, she did think they couldn't be the only leaving thing in the universe but she had never thought aliens would try to have a contact with them.

"M-More than one, do you remember those appearances in the back alley? All aliens possible aliens." He said pointing at the photos pinned on the cardboard nailed on the wall.

"Yeah, but you have seen them for a while now right? This is no news." She was confused, he had always gotten excited after a new person would drop out a blue portal in the alley but this was really twice the usual amount.

Elliott was breathing heavily, he power walked towards the hallway closet that he had converted into a darkroom and after second he was back with a developed image of a tiny guy dressed in a blu school attire, high socks, shorts, blazer, over shirt and shirt, hair slicked in a perfect stile. "It's a kid..."

"It's not just a kid, he- he teleported inside the house and he threatened to melt my brain." His hands were gesturing around, first he pointed at his face and then they flapped a little. Y/n took them with her own and squeezed them slightly.

"Ok, alright. I believe you, but you have to calm down, this stress is not good for you. Breath, sleep it out." Y/n voice was sweet and convinced Elliott to finally have a rest, he confessed he was still waiting for the tiny guy to come back there, because: 'he has to find his family.' Y/n assured him that she was going to stay there all night, up and waiting for the school kid to get back so he could get some sleep.

"I'll call to the hospital tomorrow so you don't have to go through this alone, alright?" Elliott had nodded strongly, finding balance with her assistance. In minutes he was dead asleep and Y/n could finally sigh into relax, she set on one of the couches around the place, only one light on beside her, she searched for a book, To Kill a Mockingbird, in the bookshelf beside her and finally she started waiting for the unknown guy.

———

At 4.20am she got distracted by a woosh of air, the room flashing in a blue light for a split second, and in front of her stood the kid Elliott had shown in the photo. The two looked at each other, his eyes were narrowed in contrast to hers that were calm and observing.

"Who are you?" They asked at the same time, the features of the young boy got more contorted at hearing that.

"I'm Y/n, a friend of Elliott's." She replied setting aside the book she was reading, the photo of the boy in between the pages as a bookmarker. The guys lips pursed before he looked around the room. "Elliot is sleeping, your appearance stressed him out." She informed, her eyes still on him trying to understand why was he looking like he was running out of time. The boy sweared under his breath and fidget a little.

"Maybe you should rest too, you don't seem fine."

"Do you think I'm an alien too?"

"You aren't?" Her voice was normal, not surprised like she did and did not know about this whole thing. He got irritated, the last thing he needed was a mystery woman while trying to find the solution to a second doomsday. "It doesn't matter if I think you are, Elliott does. Care to tell me your name young man?" She stood up and dusted her dress before hearing another woosh and getting startled by the guy that was now standing in front of her.

"Do. Not. Call. Me. Young man." He hissed through gritted teeth. She was surprised now, but no shiver or cry came out of her, she was a nurse, how the hell would she not know how to control herself? Y/n had exceptional control during tense situations, obviously she would suffer the after shocks of such ability but it was a good skill, better suffer later then risk in the moment.

"Is that your name? A little long if I'm allowed to say." He sighed and walked away from her, spearing a glance to the photos pinned to the wall.

"Five."

"Creative name... There's a spare room down the hall, rest." She said pointing down the dark corridor. Five glanced at the spot and then at the woman that looked not older then 25, his mouth opened in confusion, he wanted to ask something but he stopped himself from doing so, opting for a nap. Without saying either 'goodnight' nor 'thank you', the guy walked in the darkness closing the door of the room behind himself.

Y/n sighed, feisty little one wasn't he? She took a blanket and grabbed the book.

She was thankful Elliott had stopped selling TVs because now the storage room downstairs under the platform of the first floor was somewhat of a extra bedroom. That's where she had slept for the remaining hours of the night.

———

Sounds of plates and utensils clanking woke her up the morning after, thankfully she had never had a problem getting up fast after waking up, plus she was worried about Elliott being alone with the little Five, she felt like he was some what of a danger, or that he could bring danger to hurt the man.

"... at the neighborhood Fotomat. Government has eyes everywhere." This was Elliott's voice, it became clearer the more she walked up the stairs and the more she entered this reality from her sleepy state.

"I didn't see a darkroom."

"The hallway closet, he converted it into a darkroom." She was walking towards them, dressed exactly like last night, in her casual clothes, not a dress, never a dress, she was a nurse, she already spent enough time in a dress during the day.

"Good morning Sweety, cereals are were you usually put them." Informed Elliott while having another spoonful from the bowl he had in hand. Five looked at the both of them with his eyebrows furrowed. He thought Elliott was with someone named Eleanor, not Y/n. He shrugged it off taking a pen and scribbling down on a box in his hand.

"Can you develop this?" He asked interrupting their conversation, handing the scribbled box to Elliott that swiftly shifted his attention from his friend to Five.

"Huh. 'Frankel Footage.' Friend of yours?"

"Cousins on my robot mother's side." The sentence sounded sarcastic and it was adorned by a passive smile, Y/n left out a unbelievable 'oh, god' while she moved to the kitchen to serve herself a bowl of cereals too. "Can you do it or not?

"Sure I can."

"How long?"

"Well, I mean, I'm running low on acetic acid. Beeker's Camera is open today, but it's two miles away. I mean, i'd have to take the bus. On the other hand, Gibson's is only a block away, but I gotta cut through the park, and there's pigeons—"

"Elliott." Marked Five urging him to get to the point after following him in a persistent manner.

"It's like five, maybe six hours." The radio went of before Five could do any thinking and Y/n perked up, she had always found police communication interesting, believe it or not she wanted to become a cop before her mother made her study nursing.

Attentions all units, we have a code 3-15 at the Holbrock Sanitarium.

Beside Elliott that was eating the two listened attentively at the communication of the police radio.

"The hell is a code 3-15?"

"Fugitives on the run."