"I do not," Trent scoffs and aggressively plops food down onto his plate while his mother nods.

"Mmhm, so are you going to serve Lacie, or are you just going to get food for yourself?" She inclines her head towards me and when Trent just grumbles, she winks at me before turning back around. I smile to myself thinking that that's also probably where Trent got his wink.

Trent glances over at me over his shoulder. "Would you like some mashed potatoes?"

My nose scrunches up involuntarily. "No, thank you."  I reach for some macaroni salad as Trent gasps. "What?" I ask glancing back over at him bemused and he brings a hand up to his chest. 

"Why?" Is the only thing that comes out of his mouth and I resist the urge to laugh.

I shrug. "I don't like mashed potatoes." He shakes his head disapprovingly and I turn back around to scoop some food onto my plate.

So yeah, I hate mashed potatoes.

After I finish covering my plate with food, I go to take a step away from the table, but then feel something tickling my leg. I look down only to see its Bowser, Trent's bulldog.

"Hi, buddy," I smile down at him and then placing my plate on the table I bend down to pet his plump form. I graze my fingernails across the top of his white fur covered head a few times before he leans up and licks the side of my wrist.

And it turns out I'm not allergic to dogs. 

"Okay, Bowser, that's enough." Trent pats his head for a second before nudging the dog away from me with his leg. "She's mine."

"Trent!" I stand back up giving him a crazed look.

"What?" He shrugs innocently with his plate in one hand.

"He's just a sweet little dog," I defend Bowser gesturing to his, almost depressed, retreating form as he waddles back over to his little dog bed. A pout forms on my lips and I take a step forward to go pet him again, but Trent sidesteps, blocking the dog from my line of vision.

"No, he's not sweet. He's a guy and," Trent taps a finger to the side of his head, "I know how guys think." I shake my head, folding my arms across my chest.

"Whatever you say."

Trent grins at my lack of a retort and grabs my plate off the table, balancing both of our plates in his hands. He walks over to the sliding door and I blow Bowser a quick kiss before following behind him. Walking out onto the patio Trent sets both our plates down at the last empty chair at the end of the table our friends are occupying. 

"Oh look, the lovebirds are out," Zack says holding his plastic fork up before nudging Josh, who's sitting beside him. "I wonder what they were up to." He wiggles his eyebrows and I shake my head at him when he turns his suggestive gaze over to me.

Then a baby carrot smacks his cheek and I follow the direction it came from seeing it was Steph, who's nonchalantly stabbing a fork into her salad. It seems the table's divided, with Trent's friends on the left, and mine on the right. Trent drags another chair over and places it next to the empty one, in which I assume is for me. Then he turns and wraps his arms around me, pulling me to him.

He grins down at me through the sunlight and leans down, capturing my lips with his. This receives some 'boos' and whistles from the group making me pull back at little embarrassed. My eyes go down to the v-neck on Trent's chest as I feel my cheeks burn a darker hue. Before I can overanalyze anything though, something cold hits my cheek and I look down only to find a green pea caught in the strands of my hair.

"Zack!" I turn to him, giving him an accusatory look in which he grins, his boney shoulders rising up in response.

"Sorry I couldn't help it." He winks and I turn back to Trent holding the tiny green vegetable between my thumb and pointer finger.  However when it suddenly disappears I look up only to see Trent chewing.

"Ew," I groan and scrunch my face up while Trent chuckles.

"Says the girl who doesn't like mashed potatoes."

"Hey," I slap a hand down onto his chest."It's not my fault my taste buds aren't compatible with the mashed up consistency of a potato." He just grins down at me and pulls me closer against him, leaning his forehead on mine.

"I love you," he says lowly only intending for me to hear and I smile back at him.

"I love you too."

Just like that, his lips are back on mine and our friends get louder with their protests.

"Ew, stop!"

"Get a room!"

"I'm trying to eat here!" 

After a few seconds Trent and I pull back again and just stare at each other, grinning like fools.

From the moment I saw him somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that somehow, some way, my life was going to change. And all it took was one grin in my direction and I knew I was a goner.

So I, Lacie O'Conner, fell for Trent Montgomery.

Effortlessly. Hopelessly. Madly. Truly. And deeply. 

Now are we going to be together forever?  Well, that's just one thing only time will tell and I won't know the answer until that time comes.

But I do know that as of now we are just two crazy kids that fell in love.

And that's the truth.