one: working for the weekend

Comenzar desde el principio

Steve had started driving Robin to school when the school year began

She still didn't have a car, so he figured he'd do her the solid of taking her to school, just so she didn't have to bike there with her French horn and her trumpet, since she'd decided to play trumpet in marching band this year.

Steve liked taking Robin to school. Not because he liked her or anything—he loved Robin, but in the way that friends loved each other. Besides, he had to torment someone with all of his talk about all of his dates.

"Then there's Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she'd going out of state for college. So it's like do I really wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex? I just—I mean, I don't... I don't know. Does that make sense to you?" Steve turned to Robin in the passenger's seat for only a second, looking to find she was completely focused on doing her mascara. "Robin, are you listening to me?"

"Uh, yes, I'm... I'm—"

"What did I just say? What did I just say to you?"

"Something about sex w–with Linda."

"No, I'm talking about Heidi."

"Cut me some slack, please!"

"Well—"

"Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity, and it is seven in the morning, we have to go to the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a total corpse." Robin almost asked if Kate had done the same thing for him years ago that she was doing now, but she didn't want to bring up a touchy subject.

"You're worried about a basketball pep rally? Expect me to believe that?"

"Yeah? So?"

"So we both know what this is about, okay? I'm not buying that. This is about Vickie."

Robin wasn't ready for a Steve Harrington classic get-the-girl pep talk this morning. "Absolutely not."

"Yeah, it is, and you know what else I think?"

"I really don't care—"

"I think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her, okay? You just gotta be yourself."

"You're literally quoting me to me. You do realize that."

"Well, maybe you need to listen to yourself. You ever think about that, smarty pants? I listened to you, and now look at me. Boom. Back in business."

Steve was, how he'd put it, "back in business." Back in high school before he'd settled down, he had been known to get around. Now that Kate had broken up with him, he'd been on more dates than he could keep track of, almost making him seem like a serial dater. He didn't really care if it made him sound like a manwhore—it was better than being sad.