Chapter Two

When I opened my eyes, the only thing telling me that I was alive was the Error 404 sign still glitching above my head. I moved my arm, wincing at the bolt of pain. I wiggled my right hand's fingers and breathed out, relieved that everything seemed more or less normal.

"H-hello?" I called out into the darkness. Now that I was not falling, the stress of my situation became visible. Something flicked on and when it came closer, I realized that it was a fire.

"So, you finally decided to get up?" a gruff voice asked.

"W-where are we?"

The fire still came closer, illuminating a red head and eyes. I blinked, wondering if that was Red. But . . . no, his head was a torus. I could see though his head just like I could with SC. "Don't you know?" he asked irritably. "When would you usually see an 'error 404' sigh?"

"When the page is lost," I answered quietly.

Torus-Red nodded sharply. "Or that page was taken down."

"So . . . we are technically not alive anymore?"

He sighed and grabbed my arm. I seethed against the pain, but remained standing after he pulled me up. "No, Brainiac. We are alive. For now."

I felt something in my throat and I attempted to swallow it down. "Okay. Is there a way to get back?"

"So far, no."

His words were not comforting. I bit my lip, thinking of all the work I had at home. What happened to that? I needed to submit those forms before the week ended, otherwise I would lose my job. And I did not want to, because it paid nicely.

"What is your name?"

"Pu-Violaceous," I corrected. I was still getting used to my new name.

It did not escape him. He gazed at me with searching eyes while his mouth smiled. "Like violate? I like that. I like that a lot."

I shrugged, but felt a smile creeping up on me too. That was exactly why I had chosen the name. It sounded cool, when said correctly-which was not often-, even if it was a bit much to write out. "What about you?"

"I am The Dark Lord." He grinned, flashing off his pointy teeth.

It sounded like he wanted applause, so I offered a weak one.

He frowned. "You don't know who I am?"

"Um, no?"

Rolling his eyes, he turned away from me, muttering. "Kids. They never read history. Anyway, it is not like you will be seeing much of me, as I will find a way out of this place soon."

I perked up. "We're getting out?"

Dark was about to answer when he paused, staring at something behind me. Turning, I saw another fire coming closer and a ball of bright light illuminating two other figures. The first one was like Dark except black, and he looked bored. The second one-

I gasped. No. no, no, no, no, no!

"Kid, are you okay?" Dark asked.

"I-I-" I stuttered. Dark looked from me to the approaching stick figures. His eyes narrowed as he studied the second stick figure.

"Who is he?"

"Somebody I would have rather died than see again," I whispered.

"Dark? Is that . . ." I jolted backwards as a line streaked towards me. It crashed into the red guy behind me. "I thought you died! You should have died!"

"Chosen, get off!"

I watched the two struggle with each other with wide eyes. Fire balls lit up the darkened room briefly as they hurled towards each other. Dark's eyes glowed and the term 'seeing red' never seemed so true to me until now. Two red streaks flashed in the void, barely missing Chosen as he flipped over.