Moon Over Bourbon Street

Beginne am Anfang

Rolling his eyes, Benji hops in next to him and turns around to greet Lake, Mia, Fee, and Andrew, who've all crammed into the two rows of seats behind them. His voice is cool. "Hey, guys."

A chorus of 'hey's rings out as Victor drives them out of the lot and down the road toward Benji's apartment.

They chat amongst themselves as Benji rests his hand on Victor's bare thigh, tensing as they turn down one of the streets and stop at a red light. Benji taps Victor's knee urgently, scowling, before he motions for Victor to come closer. Victor raises an eyebrow but obliges.

"Can you please just drop me on the next street?" Benji whispers into Victor's ear.

"What? Why? That's ridiculous."

"Just... please."

Victor hesitates, opening his mouth but clamping it closed quickly before he turns down the next street. Benji watches him from the corner of his eye expectantly, but Victor shakes his head as he continues before turning down Benji's street, the old brick buildings coming into view. Bristling, Benji averts his gaze and withdraws his hand as Victor parks on the side of the road outside his building.

"Wait, isn't this the wrong street?" Mia asks.

"Nope," Benji says curtly. "This is... where I live." He shoots a glare at Victor and grits his teeth.

Lake presses her face against the glass and wrinkles her nose. "Well, this is... uh... bohemian."

Benji doesn't say anything more as he jumps out of the car and slams the door hard behind him.

It's quiet as Benji stomps across the sidewalk into the building. He glances over his shoulder before disappearing from view.

"Victor, what the hell did you do?" Lake snaps.

Whipping around and smacking the sides of the steering wheel, bewildered, Victor stares at her. "What do you mean? I didn't do anything!"

"He's pissed, you moron!"

The others hum in agreement.

"Bro, you should go after him, 'cause he probably won't come back if you don't," Andrew says, stretching and draping his arm over Fee's shoulders.

"Ugh... fine." Victor groans, clicking the button on his seatbelt repeatedly, fingers clumsy, before it finally releases, and he grumbles to himself as he rolls out of the car and into the street.

He sighs as he cuts across the overgrown grass, running to the door and wrenching it open before he darts up the stairs, footsteps echoing like a stampede around him as he makes his way to Benji's floor.

Taking a deep breath of dank, stale air, Victor bangs his fist on the door.

"Benji! Open up!"

There's movement on the other side of the door, accompanied by retreating footsteps. Victor grumbles before he hammers against the door again.

"Hey, I'm sorry, okay? Can we talk?"

An older woman shuffles down from the upper floor and pauses to examine him suspiciously before she resumes her descent. Victor holds his hand up apologetically, heart hammering in his chest as he waits for her to leave before he bangs on the door again.

"Benji, seriously... I know you're in there. Please stop ignoring me."

Victor swallows the lump in his throat before he sighs, taking a step away from the door and jamming the heels of his hands into his eye sockets.

"What the fuck is wrong with me?" Victor asks himself, running one hand through his curls, distressing them as he tries to rein in the panic flooding his veins.