Rokkoh and the Final Year, Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

The bell taunts us with more ringing, laughing as it tells us we won't make it inside before its eight and final chime. We push ourselves hard, legs pumping faster and faster to bring us closer evermore to the Tower's entrance at the bottom of the ridge. My strides are longer than hers, but Kym keeps up without much extra effort.

Five...

Six...

Seven...

The door swings open free and easy as we collide with the wood. We trample to a stop just inside, hearts pounding as we catch our breath. The door shuts with a gentle click behind us, and as our eyes meet once more we break into a relieved laughter. The bell's finale rings out until it fades into silence, as does our delight.

"That was close," Kym says between exhales.

"Right?" I say back, trying to catch my breath as well.

If there was a time to make my move, it's now. With adrenaline coursing through my veins, it would be even easier than the moment on the beach. We fall back into that comfortable quiet staring contest. My hand finds its way into hers once more. Her fingers interlock with mine, and her smile glistens. We come together, stepping close with such blissful expectancy. My free hand rises to her cheek to hold it with a gentle touch. My thumb caresses her skin, so soft and warm. Her hand finds my waist and pulls me in until our bodies touch. Our heads inch their way toward each other, eager lips tingling with desire and soul-tethered need. For a short, beautifully dangerous moment, there is only Kym and myself. I would live here forever if I could, savor it for as long as possible. The only thing better would be the kiss itself, that sweet collision of longing and fulfillment wrapped in romance's innocent embrace.

I can almost feel her lips on mine already.

"Hi," the child's voice shatters the moment.

We freeze for an agonizing second. The interruption separates us; we step apart and let go of each other. Bitter mourning of what could have been produces a heated irritation as the interloper stands a few yards from us. Short, blond, and thin, Pinnow's emerald eyes watch from the archway. Naive and ignorant, he offers a polite little smile.

"Hi Pinnow," I grumble. Kym hides her face.

"Are you guys heading to dinner?" he asks. "You've almost missed it."

"Yeah, we're going to dinner," I tell him. "Are you just coming back?"

"No," Pinnow shakes his little blond head. "Janco and Jibara were busy going around being mean to people, and Wassim and Telarria went off somewhere. I've been on my own most of today and kind of forgot about dinner."

Kym stops her hiding, and we exchange a look of pity and worry. She gives a single silent nod before her attention goes to the boy.

"You can come with us, if you want," she says.

Pinnow's face lights up at the offer. He turns in his spot and leads us through the hall. Kym and I look at each other with a brief look that says we could have encountered someone worse. We follow the small boy. Although we are back in the Tower, part of me yearns to hold her hand once more. I hush the desire; part of our unspoken pact prohibits such displays in public spaces. Neither of us would want some of the nastier kids to mock or ridicule us.

"So what were you guys doing out there?" his curiosity gets the better of him.

"Stargazing," I answer with a quick honesty. "It's a good night for it."

"We like to tell each other the stories," Kym adds.

"So are you two a couple then?" Pinnow asks as we round the corner to the dining hall.

The two of us stop, hesitant and answerless. A flash of heat fills my face and reddens my cheeks, an awkward little grin spreading across both of our lips. Our eyes dart from one another to elsewhere, caught in the unknown of how to respond to Pinnow's question. He soon stops as well, finding us several feet behind. Confused, he closes the gap.

"Is everything okay?" he asks. "Did I say something?"

"Nothing you did wrong, don't worry," Kym assures him, adjusting her awkward, or perhaps embarrassed, smile. "Why do you think we're a couple?"

"I dunno," Pinnow shrugs. "You guys are always hanging out together, even if Max isn't around. You go stargazing together. Wassim and Telarria do those kinds of things all the time, and they say they're a couple. So I thought maybe you guys are too."

Kym and I lock eyes once more in the deep awkward silence. Lost for words, we search for something, anything, we could tell him. Do we admit the truth hidden behind locked doors? Do we expose ourselves in such a raw and pure emotion? Do we lay our hearts on the line once and for all, stitch the pulsing bleeding bastards to our sleeves? The thought of that bliss being released sends my heart into a sprint and I don't know if the rest of me can catch up. Three little words bubble up from my gut and sit sweet and serene on my tongue. But my lips do not part, stuck together by some unknown glue.

Her eyes beg, for what I am unsure. Within the same second I see both the longing and the shunning. The hope burning bright and the despair shrouding darkness. The unequivocal yes and the indisputable no.

Kym kneels in front of Pinnow, leaning in close to his ear and covering her mouth to keep her words a secret. His face remains even, unaffected, calm. As she pulls away and returns to her feet, he gives her a small nod. Neither of them address the exchange any further, stepping into the dining hall. I catch Kym by the hand and pull her back with a gentle tug.

"What did you say?" My eagerness betrays my hope.

"None of your business," he responds with a small sly smile and a wink. "Come on, let's get some food."

Her hand slips out of mine as she takes a seat, and though my curiosity refuses to die I follow.