Rokkoh and the Princess - Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

"Why?" I groan, taking my seat again. "I've been a good boy, I swear." The amber liquid refreshes my mouth with its bittersweet alcohol.

"Ten minutes," he says again. His cape fans out as he turns on his heel, making his way to the door. I make a face, narrowing my eyes and sticking out my tongue, once he's gone. I go back to my tankard, finish it off with one big gulp, and leave a few copper coins on the bar for Leo. Not much of a tip, but it's all I have left. As far as he's concerned, anyway.

Crisp air greets me as soon as I pass through the door of Leo's Tap. Brisk, refreshing, but not quite sobering. The spinning world slows a little bit. The blurriness of building sharpens just a touch. The lights inside the sleeping box giants aren't so blinding. Yet the world still moves. I can't make out details on the signs. I wince at what little brightness fills the town circle. But the quiet, the peace only the moon can bring, takes over. Oakwing sleeps, leaving only a few guardsmen to patrol for ne'er-do-wells and runken ruffians. My lungs take it in, the chill breeze of nocturnal serenity, and my mouth gives it back in a light misty exhale.

Standing tall in the center of the area is the Sheriff's Tower. A grand silhouette, it looms over the city. Watching, waiting, judging. It keeps an ever-vigilant eye on the citizenry, looking for the next person to send to the stocks for humiliation, a cell for justice, or the gallows for permanent punishment. Cold, hungry, malevolent. The door facing the north side of town, a gaping toothless maw, welcomes me in.

Captain Hunt does not greet me here. The room is vacant, only a few sconces bearing lit candles. The little tables, lined up like a grip of gravestones, sit in patient silence for the morning when their masters return. At dawn, the room will flood with bodies. Paperwork will be filed, fines will be processed and handed for couriers to deliver, wanted posters will be drafted and posted at the gates. Busy little worker bees will toil away until the evening, earning their pay as they fill the whole tower with their endless buzzing.

Captain Hunt does not greet me here. Even in my waning stupor I do not expect him to wait for me just inside the north door. No, that ginger grimace of his would be found at the top of the tower. He would be outside the Court of Crowns.

Up the stairs that hug the wall, I climb to the third floor. I thank the railing for keeping me steady. Stepping off the stone staircase, I come to the door with "Paladin Ward" burned into the oak in block letters the size of my hand. Inside, a well-lit room awaits. My eyes need a moment to adjust, but soon the small room comes together. Three chairs sit in the middle, separated by a large desk. Two of the chairs, small wooden things, show their backs to me. The other, bigger but not by much, waits on the other side. On the occasion of a commission, the paladin and the contact write up the agreement here. Boring, bureaucratic bullshit. Give me a bag of coin and a name and I'll do the dirty work. No contracts or signatures required. No bullshit.

Beyond the desk and chairs is another door, this one plain. To a hallway it leads, two doors on either side. One for each holy warrior enlisted under the city's banner. The first two little apartments are occupied, their hosts sleeping soundly inside. At the back end, the room on the right misses its tenant; Miea went out for a job three days ago and hasn't returned quite yet. The last door on the left groans as I turn the knob and step inside. Candles spark to life, but remain dim. Alcohol, tobacco, and sex linger in the air. I take it all in with a grin.

Home.

The main room holds little fanfare: a few basic chairs in various states of disrepair mingle around a low table in the center of the room; a green flag with a golden eagle resting on a tree branch hangs on the easter wall; a white banner bearing the visage of a faceless woman with flowing yellow hair and outstretched welcoming arms is displayed on the western wall. A doorway calls from the southern wall, the bed inside whispering sweet nothings in hopes that I will succumb. I enter, tired drunken eyes focusing on it for too long of a moment. The aroma of mortal pleasures is stronger here, more tempting here. In minutes this room could come alive, full of laughter and lust and life. All I would need is some wine and a woman.

But not tonight.

I go to the water basin in the corner of the room near the head of the bed. The cold water on my face as I scrub it in sends a sobering, warm, invigorating jolt through me. The sluggishness in my head dissipates, the heaviness in my limbs lightens, and my wobbly legs find stable footing. Droplets trickle down from my black crown and into my goatee and shirt. I remove the latter and the rest of my casual clothes in favor of the glistening steel armor and green cape modeled by the mannequin on the other side of the room. A display rack sits on the wall next to the now naked featureless figure. A sword, her blade long and broad and beautiful, shines there. I take her by the black leather of the hilt, marvel at her wondrous violent steel, and slide her into the sheath at my hip.

Ah, my glorious lady Lavender. Or, as the people call her, Drake's Demise. The name sounds prettier in her native Elvish tongue. Still, as beautiful as she is, she hardly deserves the common name. Eradicate a nest of sleeping wyvern younglings and suddenly you've slayed a dragon. But what of her other tales? What about the countless bandit camps she has raided? Or that necromancer hiding in his cave to the west? Where are the songs regarding the nameless legion of men, women, and children who fell to her fatal sting during perilous times war? No, certainly there are none. Where is the glory in those stories? The bravery? The illustrious fame? The storytellers care not for the terrible things a weapon has done, the numerous affronts to the deities. The stories that spread like wildfire, the ones people seem to only praise, are those of great and mighty beasts who no longer breathe thanks to quick wits and strong steel.

If only the bards and histories knew what my Lavender has done. If only.