Part 1

In her earliest memories, her mother was always present. It wasn't unusual for a small child to spend her earliest years stifled with affection from at least one parent but there certainly was something unusual about this case.

Her mother kept her hidden, far more than any other overprotective mother might. In her earliest memories, it wasn't just that her mother was ever present, she was the only one present.

Still, she was a happy child. She loved her mother and even if she was curious about the outside world, she was happy to stay cocooned in the safety of her mothers control. She was still young enough at the time that the outside world held absolutely no appeal that could be greater than her mothers arms.

She was young enough that she probably shouldn't have been able to remember those years so clearly but they were more vivid than any other year in her life.

And then her mother died.

It was cruel and tragic and she had nowhere to look to at all for help.

A simple and tragic tale of a girl cruelly losing everything at the tender age of six.

She wasn't a cowardly girl though. She wasn't foolish. And she wasn't hasty.

In her heart, she promised herself she'd find out who dared to hurt her mother and to earn the power necessary to even out the scales.

Things became somewhat more illuminated for her when she met her aunt. A kind and wonderful woman who offered her absolute support in whatever she chose to do.

She also learned about her birthright and gendered nature of succession.

Alver the orphan held onto the pendant that hid her true appearance from the world that might scorn her and thought to herself, how hard could it be to change that appearance just a bit more?

And when Alberu Crossman entered the palace, the lost heir of the runaway queen with absolutely no power to back up his claim to the throne, no one in the world was wise to her true nature or exactly how determined she was to make her goals a reality.

Despite a great many hiccups and difficulties along the way, Alberu Crossman earned the title of crown prince and was well along the way to succeeding the throne.

It just all got a bit mixed up when she met Cale Henituse, rumored garbage and infamous drunkard.

The bottle smashed over the grimy bastard's head neatly and the shock of the moment caused Alver's pupils to shake in momentary shock.

She hadn't been scared. She would have already dealt with the situation herself under different circumstances. It was just that she'd been making an effort not to stick out among the bar patrons.

No one in the entire kingdom, aside from her aunt, ought to recognize her in her current appearance but her dark skin and unusual ears might cue certain people as to what she was so she'd been hopeful to avoid making a scene.

Unfortunately a dirty drunkard had decided that she looked like an easy target and had taken it upon himself to attempt to drag her upstairs where they could have some privacy. She allowed him to drag her too, figuring that privacy would be a good opportunity to dispatch the scumbag.

Deep brown eyes met hers as the scummy bastard sank to the ground. For a moment, she was struck by the sight of him.

He was average height for a man, well groomed, and clearly noble. His brown eyes observed her closely for just a moment, as though looking for any sign of injury, before he was a different man.

Cheeks red with alcohol and letting out angry drunken slurs, he yelled that the alcohol he'd just broken over her attackers head tasted like shit and demanded something better.

Alver could recognize him from just that.

She was in the Henituse Territory after all, investigating a secret matter that required absolute stealth on her part, so of course she'd gathered information about the Henituse family ahead of time.

She knew all about the trash of the family. The eldest son who was five years her junior and spent all of his time causing trouble that the Count had to clean up after him.

She knew about Cale Henituse, infamous lout and unrepentant bastard.

So why did he appear so different than she'd heard?

Alver's survival in the palace hinged on her ability to read others effectively and accurately. And Cale Henituse had most definitely gone out of his way to help her before leaving without even waiting for thanks.

It was deeply incongruent with the rumors about him.

Alver stepped on the prone man that Cale had dealt with for her, returning to her seat in the tavern and ordering a new drink as she stealthily watched Cale Henituse cause a scene only a few tables away. Some patrons looked nervous and the bartender certainly looked as though he'd seen better days. Worry over what Cale would break next or which patron might suffer his wrath next.

Alver wouldn't have paid any specific attention to him but now that she knew what to look for, it was obvious.

Despite his crude behavior, he really was careful not to break anything irreplaceable and despite his seeming reckless attitude, the only people who were at any risk of injury were the unscrupulous group of men her attacker had been sitting with.

She noted that none of them made any effort to help their fallen companion either. They didn't seem to care about him at all. She couldn't blame anyone for disregarding the walking garbage who'd thought to take advantage of her but she'd seen them egg him on before his initial approach.

Alver took another sip of her drink, thoughtfully watching the scene with growing amusement.

She'd set aside just about a month for this investigation. She always set aside more time than she would need, meticulously planning for almost anything that could go wrong.

Normally this meant that she would return to the palace ahead of schedule and get a head start on all the other things on her ever growing to-do list designed to achieve her goals.

'I could spare a week on this curiosity.' She decided, smiling to herself as she solidified the plans in her mind.

After all, Cale Henituse was a viable heir to the Henituse Countdum and it would do her good to scratch this strange itch that was Cale's incongruent behavior.

It wasn't at all because of how interesting she found him the more she watched from the sidelines.

Alver had dedicated her entire life to revenge for what happened to her mother and a desperate claim for her birthright as the firstborn heir to the Roan Kingdom's royal family.

She'd never quite found the time to develop a crush before and so she really didn't know how to recognize the signs.

She never would have imagined that her meeting with Cale Henituse would change the direction of her future so dramatically.

Princess Alver (og Cale x Alver)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें