When they were sure no one was looking at them directly, they slipped some bread into their jacked pocket, were Julien already waited for this dinner.

Then, out of nowhere, Five jammed his knife into the table and the attention was all his.

Riley had jumped a little in shock and Five put his hand on their hand without looking away from Reginald.

"Number Five?" said Reginald.

"I have a question."

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time travel," Five explained, ignoring Reginald's instruction.

Riley looked at Five in surprise. They thought he wanted to wait.

Or had they misunderstood something?

"Five, something could happen to you," Riley said, slightly upset, flopping down on her bed.

Five sat down next to her.

"Riley, I promise I won't be traveling alone, ok? You know me. I'm a man of my word."

And if Five traveled with Reginald's help, then he would keep his promise to Riley.

"No," Reginald said simply.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said," said the teenager.

He got up and let go of Riley's hand.

They tried to hold him back, but Five jumped across the room next to Reginald.

"See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel," Reginald replied. "One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

Five glanced at his siblings, who seemed to be ignoring the conversation between the two and quietly eating their food.

All except Riley, who was looking intently in the direction of Reginald and Five. When Riley and Five's eyes met, they shook their head slightly.

"I'm not afraid," Five said.

Riley turned their face away from them both to hide the twitch of the corners of their mouth.

His stubbornness was one of the reasons Riley liked Five. But just that stubbornness could get him into trouble.

"Fear isn't the issue," Reginald replied. "The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

The teenager glared at Reginald, who turned back to his food. For him the conversation was over.

Five looked at his siblings one more time before turning and storming out of the room.

"Number Five!" Reginald called after him. "You haven't been excused!"

Riley jumped up and ran after him.

"Number Eight, sit back down. Now!"

The child ignored Reginald. They caught up with Five on the road and grabbed his arm.

"Five, where are you going?" Riley asked concerned.

"I don't know," the boy replied and just wanted to leave at that moment.