Betrayal

Y/N sped through the hills of Hollywood on his bike, heartbroken.

How could she do that? How could Scarlett cheat?

He'd ignored the signs for so long. The phone calls she would hang up on, her suddenly secretive phone behaviour, the photos that appeared on TMZ and the dirt rags that she had pled were 'out of context'. That it was all the paparazzi, a media build up. That her and Chris were just friends.

There was no denying what he just walked in on.

As he drove like a mad man there was only one place he could think to go. Only one person he could trust right now with his broken heart. His best friend.

He sped to Emma's house.

Emma was sat watching a documentary, something on whales. She was having trouble focusing. She had called Y/N a number of times that day and hadn't heard back.

He always got back to her.

She smiled to herself as she thought about her best friend. They first met on the set of Wallflower, which they co-starred on. They were inseparable since.

They had buried parents together, ridden the wave of fame together, she had been a 'groomsman' at his wedding to Scarlett, after the pair met while filming Avengers.

Scarlett had never liked Emma, that much was clear, but she played nice for Y/N- and Y/N never thought bad of his darling wife.

Emma smiled again. He was such a strong man, so proud, so handsome, so kind and generous. She felt a feeling she knew to be true, and forbidden, and pushed it deep down as she heard a knock at her door.

It was late, she wasn't expecting anyone, so she was slightly concerned as she pressed her intercom.

"Who is it?"

"It's me Poppet".

Emma smiled at the special nickname Y/N had for her and rushed to the door, opening it smiling.

"N/N what are-"

Emma cut herself off as she saw her best friends face. The tear stains down his cheeks, the broken look in his eyes.

"She cheated Em. She cheated on me... she...."

He broke down again as Emma rushed over and squeezed her best friend tight, sympathetically, her heart breaking as he sobbed in her arms.

—~—

It had been a month. News of Scarlett's infidelity had spread like wildfire, the whole world questioning how this would affect filming for Endgame, which was two months from commencing.

"So will Y/N be able to reprise his role as Hawkeye? Will Scarlet reprise her role as Black Widow? And what of the rumours of Y/N knocking out Chris Evans? What you wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall at-"

Emma turned off the tv in disgust. Vultures.

Y/N had been staying with her the last month. It had been hard. He had loved his wife so much, to find out the affair had been happening around him, even while filming Civil War and Infinity War. He had felt humiliated, embarrassed, emasculated. Emma had been there to pick up the pieces.

He walked in to the home they now shared with a heavy look on his face as she turned and smiled.

"Well? How did you?"

"It's done. My lawyer has served her with divorce proceedings. It's done" Y/N smiled bravely as Emma closed the gap between them, hugging her best friend tight.

They stood in the embrace before Y/N whispered.

"How about I make you a special dinner tonight, to say thank you?"

"Oh N/N you don't have to do that" Emma smiled.

"I know. I want to. I don't know what I would have done without you Emma. The last month. I can never thank you enough".

Emma stroked Y/N's face lovingly as she looked up into his eyes.

"You never have to thank me Y/N. I'd move mountains for you".

She smiled tenderly as she spoke, Y/N looking down at her.

"I don't deserve a friend like you".

Emma continued to look into his eyes as time seemed to slow. She could feel her heart beating out of her chest as she looked in his eyes, leaning forward, her eyes closing as her lips connected to his.

Y/N stood there stunned, momentarily, before he kissed back. It was like fireworks. Their lips moved in synch as they became more heated, more passionate before a lack of oxygen forced them apart.

They looked at each other stunned before realisation crossed Emma's mind. She was horrified. She'd just kissed her best friend. Her best friend who was mourning the break up of his marriage. How could she?

"I'm sorry" she whimpered before turning to leave. She was shocked as Y/N held her tight. She guiltily looked up into his eyes.

"Did you mean it Emma?" He asked.

Emma nodded, and was shocked but overjoyed when he leant down and kissed her again. It was even more passionate and heated.

"I love you Y/N. I have for a long time" she gasped as they parted. Y/N smiled.

"I love you too Emma. I love you too"