Chapter X: Ravgate

The lights of Ravgate shone more than the stars in the sky, even the moon struggled to show light compared to the dazzling orange, yellow and red lights of the city. Edward and Doarlan both shunted their trains into the sidings where the foreman ordered them to. The station was just beyond, however, a few sidings and the engine shed were based in front of it and laid beside the rest of the mainline.

When Edward and Doarlan were both uncoupled from the train and to each other, Glish and Logh came puffing up next to them. "We'll be heading back to our station then," smiled Glish, "thanks for the run, hope to see yall soon!"

She then puffed off quickly, Logh muttered a 'cya' and followed Glish down the mainline, both disappearing into the city. Edward looked over at Doarlan, who looked a little amazed and confused. "Nice engine she is," Edward noted to his brother.

"She is certainly nice," said Doarlan, "but Logh? I have heard he was like... that."

"And that's why I only said 'she'," replied Edward, giving Doarlan a wink. He then puffed towards the sheds. The sheds were quite big, which would be obvious since this was a big mainline after all in a large and very glamorous city, but the sheds were basically almost empty, with rows of the sheds having no engines inside. There were a few engines huddled together at one end of the sheds, talking to each other quietly.

At first, Edward didn't bother with them, then realised why he was here and stared at them closely, trying to see who they were. There were four engines inside the shed, one of them had a familiar shape to the P1 that Edward saw earlier today and it turned out it was the other P1. The other two were the same shape with no difference in their designs. Edward recognised them instantly as 8Fs. The last one was the smallest out of the four, but their shape looked like an older GWR design and Edward gave a sigh of relief when realising who they were.

He stopped nearby them and smiled happily at the two engines closest to him.

Peter looked over to see Edward and his jaw dropped in shock. "Edward?" he gasped in disbelief. The other three engines stopped chatting and looked at the old, blue engine in front of them.

Ava who sat next to Peter also blinked at Edward in amazement. "Wh-What are you doing here?" she exclaimed.

"Looking for you two," chuckled Edward, "and of course Thomas." This was mostly true, Edward felt a little guilty that he had mostly focused on Thomas, but felt like Peter would've kept Ava safe from anything. And he guessed right.

Peter then smiled broadly. "Was not expecting this tonight!" he grinned, "Mr Lang from Camford told us earlier today we'll be expecting someone but I just thought it would be Mount Callim or a new engine!"

"Humph," an annoying sound came from the P1, "well we certainly need the help, and with the withdrawal of some engines here we've been worked off our wheels! The only reason control is forcing Mr Lang to do this is because they broody, grudge-holding maniacs who put poor Ava here in a terrible situation!"

Edward looked over to Ava, who looked away from the P1 a little shyly. "How have you been Ava?" he said with a warm smile.

Ava looked back at Edward and then smiled. "I've been better," she replied, "but I've been a lot worse also."

"The effects wore off her," Peter stated, "she went back to normal a few days later after we arrived, but she still needed help. It wasn't until a year later when you were finally allowed to go back into services."

"I had problems though," said Ava quietly, "...still do."

"Mind if I ask what happened with you?" Edward asked curiously.