Chapter 6: Forgiveness

Start from the beginning

  This story was familiar to her.

  He turned towards the sky and continued. "I wanted to just stay there, where I fell, forever. I didn't care if the knights found me. I didn't care if they killed me. Because... what was the point anymore?" he said absently. "She wasn't there." He lingered on that for a bit. "But... her last word she whispered to me kept repeating in my head, urging me. Cursing me. 'Live' she had urged so desperately. I... I just knew I wouldn't find peace if I didn't at least try my hardest to fulfill that wish." His distant gaze turned into something fond as he gazed at the sky, reminiscing. "She... wished me the best. And even though everyone was against me, she still took care of me and stood up for me. She gave up so much for me to live a happy life as far as I have. So, I knew she would have wanted me to have a happy life even after she was gone.

  It was hard, of course. I cried almost every day on my way here. But I made a promise to myself to no longer cry after I came here. It would be the mark of a new life for me, and this time I would try my best to fit in against all odds." He smiled. "But honestly, a part of me was scared, really scared, that I wouldn't fit in again. She was the only one who accepted me, a freak half-mage. Would anyone really accept me like that again? Or was I destined to live the rest of my life an outcast?" He turned to Fia. "You accepted me Fia, even if a little hesitantly at first. You helped me belong. I am thankful for that. Truly. I could never thank you enough for that."

  She nodded. "I'm...," she started hesitantly, "glad... I could help."

  He smiled back to her. It was the first time she accepted his thanks.

  They were silent for a little then Liam started, "And Fia... there's something else that I want to talk to you about ..."

  "Demral told you, didn't he?"

  "Um......"

  She sighed. "I knew it. That's why you suddenly decided to come tell me your story."

  "I just... want to help you."

  "... I don't want any help. I'm fine."

  "No, you're not!" he said, startled that she thought that. "Your eyes always look empty, Fia. You always look like you're in so much pain. You are not fine," he said with finality.

  She averted her eyes. "That doesn't concern you."

  "Yes, it does! You- you don't deserve this Fia. You have done nothing wrong."

  "And how would you know what I deserve?" she said, glaring at him challengingly.

  "Fia, it was just a little mistake-"

"And that mistake cost my parents and so many others their lives!" she howled.

"Fia you were a kid!" he begged.

  She averted her eyes and shook her head. "That doesn't bring them back."

  "Fia, please. You couldn't have known. You shouldn't blame yourself for it."

  "He's right, dear."

  They looked behind them and found Ramona standing there.

  "Demral also told me about what happened on the day of your awakening. And really, dear, you shouldn't hold the responsibility all by yourself just for that. If anything, it was our fault. When the Guazeria didn't appear, we should have looked into it more, we should have been more careful, but we were naïve. And you shouldn't have to hold the responsibility for the consequences of that."

  "All of you knew I was the Guazeria. But my parents never allowed anyone to question me about it because they saw how scared I was, how big of a coward I was!" she shouted.