❥023

❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥ ✧ ❥

before he could slip away, mavis caught up to chris in the hallway, tapping him on the shoulder. he turned around, and immediately his lips parted in surprise, expecting anyone but her.

"oh, hey mavis." chris forced a smile, but it was weak, and mavis could tell he wasn't really happy to see her.

"chris, i'm sorry for what i said to you. i promise i didn't mean it, it's just... things are complicated. i'm not trying to make excuses for what i did but this whole thing has been hard for everyone who knew you well. i just want you to let me make it up to you." said mavis, pressing her lips together after she finished while she waited for his response.

"mavis, you don't have to make anything up to me, we really don't have to talk or anything if it's too hard for you. i'll leave you alone if it's what you want." chris looked down to the floor.

"chris, that's not what i want." mavis spoke sincerely, holding her gaze right on chris so that he couldn't really look away from her.

she prayed he believed what she was saying.

"you promise?" he asked.

it wasn't often that she saw younger chris when she looked at him, but in that moment, he looked like he was about eight years old again. like a little kid wanting a pinky promise.

"i promise." she reassured him.

"okay, then consider it forgotten about. it'll be like it never even happened. i'm sorry for stressing you out." chris was now the one apologizing, he just couldn't help but feel bad for making her life so difficult.

"no, you're not allowed to apologize!" she laughed, and now chris was smiling.

"okay, sorry!" he put his hands up defensively, and she quickly slapped them down in a playful manner.

"me just saying sorry is not enough for you to forgive me. can you meet me at my locker after school?" mavis raised a brow at the boy while she asked the question.

"mavis, you don't have to do anything for me i swear it's-

"great, see you then!" she turned around abruptly, waving to him as she walked further and further down the halls.

"mavis!" he called out, but he was giggling as he watched her walk away from him, turning back around to send him a smile before she turned the corner.

it was crazy to chris how quickly she could change his mood. that morning he'd been feeling disappointed and defeated, and now he was eager and excited for the school day to end.

she had this kind of hold on him, and though he couldn't really describe what drew him to her, it was something he couldn't get rid of.

mavis had been standing at her locker for almost ten minutes, and she was fully convinced chris decided she was still a terrible person, and wasn't going to show up.

she was a little nervous, when she talked to their friends about what she was planning to do, they were a little apprehensive, and definitely surprised, but she knew if he ever remembered his life, he would realize just how much this meant for her to do for him.