33. Magnets

SKYE

The driver drops me off at the venue with my camera kit in one hand and my luggage in the other. I clumsily attempt to roll them both behind me as I make my way to the back, where the buses are parked behind a chain link fence. I spot Kay and she waves, telling the guard at the gate to let me through.

"How was your break?" she says with a smile. "Did you and your boo catch up on some lost time?"

This is already awkward.

"You could say that," I say.

"Dammnnn!" She starts walking toward the buses as I follow. "Well good for you girl! You disappointed to be back?"

"No. I'm really glad to be back actually. I can barely sleep without the noise of the wheels hitting the road anymore."

She laughs and helps me load my bags into the bus. After loading up, I sit down on the couch inside and hear a familiar voice call from the back.

"Hey Darlin'!" Sticks calls, appearing from behind the curtain that separates the front area from the lounge. "You ready to be back on the fuckin' road again?"

"Totally!" I say, and he laughs.

"Right on! You seen Jacks yet?"

"Oh, uh, not yet, no."

I haven't figured out how he and I are supposed to act around each other now that things between us are... whatever they are.

"He's inside," she says, turning to Sticks. "Which is where you should be in the next five minutes. Soundcheck."

"Ahh shit." He slips past me and quickly makes his way out of the bus.

"I swear, sometimes being in charge of these boys is like herding cats. Lazy, horny, oblivious cats."

I giggle as I imagine them all as cats. The analogy isn't too far off, except cats are much better at aiming into the litter box.

We step out into the parking lot and are greeted by Roman in sunglasses, a grey T-shirt, and tight black skinny jeans.

"Kay, Skye, my two favorite ladies on this tour!" he says with a smile.

"We're the only ladies on tour now, actually," Kay says with a laugh. "Another bassist is subbing for Paige right now and the new opening band is all guys."

"What happened to the old opening band?" I ask.

"Nothing, they were just booked for the first half of the tour. This half is with a group that the label wants more exposure for—Au Revoir to Arms. Their bus is the gray one over there." She gestures in the direction of a smaller bus parked next to the building.

A muffled voice comes in over the walkie-talkie on Kay's belt. I can barely parse any words, but Kay seems to have understood. She sighs and rolls her eyes before lifting it up to her face and holding the button.

"I'm on my way," she says into the device. She looks at us both apologetically and shrugs. "Duty calls."

Kay walks off and I turn to Roman.

"How was your big movie shoot?" I ask.

"Great, but I'm fucking exhausted," he says with a sigh, pulling his sunglasses up and resting them on his head. "Give it to me straight, do I look as shit as I feel?"

He smirks and raises a brow. He looks a bit paler than usual and there are slight bags under his eyes, but a guy with that face would have to try a lot harder to actually look bad.