Chapter 8 - Noodle Walls

Dad had a firm, angry look on his face. I could understand why they were mad--I had taken off without telling them. It was an honest mistake, though. I saw nothing wrong in going to the beach for the day with Jasper. And if Dad were to question Jasper, I'm sure Jasper would say he had a good time. There was no doubt in my mind that Jasper had fun. There was nothing he had to know, he just had to endure it.

I rolled my eyes and placed my hands on my hips.

"We did nothing wrong. I took Jasper to the beach, that's it," I said to them, anger lacing my tone.

"You don't see anything wrong with that sentence?" Mom cut in, stepping closer. I narrowed my eyes at her and slowly shook my head. I honestly didn't. They were overreacting--big time.

Mom raised her voice slightly, causing me to jump. "We have been worried sick, Charlotte! You left no message, and we had no idea where you were! With the state Jasper's-"

"Mrs. Chandler," Jasper interrupted in a neutral tone. I looked at him quickly. Though he'd cut her off, I knew exactly what she was going to say. With the state Jasper's in . . .

"Call me Sarah," she told him in a softer tone.

"Sarah," he continued in the same tone. "Charlie didn't mean to upset you two, really. We had nothing to do so we went to the beach..." He shrugged, looking unsure of what to say next. A look flickered between Mom and Dad and Mom sighed, handing me my phone.

"Fine," she said in a curt tone. "We'll let it slide, just this once. Okay? If it happens again..." she shook her head, "Just let us know where you're going. And take your phone, in case anything would happen." I bobbed my head up and down in agreement, a sense of relief washing through me.

I internally frowned at how easily they had given into Jasper. I guess I could understand why. Jasper was as innocent as a puppy. They couldn't help but believe him. Me, on the other hand, well I found that offensive. I wasn't a bad kid, I never had been. Didn't they trust me? They certainly trusted me enough to fix Jasper, even though I'm not a professional. I would never understand my crazy parents.

Still, I had to smile for them. I smiled apologetically at Mom and Dad just rolled his eyes at me, smiling playfully. They shook their heads at one another and ventured off into the kitchen.

"What time is it?" Jasper asked me suddenly. I peeked at my phone, which also showed twenty missed calls.

"Um, seven-thirty, why?" Another bucket of guilt dumped itself into my head. I looked at the missed calls, all from Mom. No wonder they were so angry. I shouldn't have been so angry with them. They had every right to worry--not only about Jasper but me as well. Maybe we had all overreacted.

"We never ate dinner," Jasper said with a laugh. He pressed a hand against his chest and gave me a longing look. I grinned and shook my head in spite of myself. My grin widened when I got an idea. Jasper would most likely like this one as well.

"We'll eat then!" I said enthusiastically. I pumped my fist into the air and danced down the hallway into the kitchen. Jasper was laughing as he followed behind.