Rain Check

Warnings: Adult Language
Ao Bing x GenderNeutral!Reader
Y/N = Your Name

You found yourself running through the puddles as you used your shopping bag to cover your hair from the rain.

A downpour had caught you and other passing people off guard as everyone scrambled for shelter to avoid getting soaked.

Finding a small shop with a roof over the entrance, you decided to skid to a stop and catch your breath. Your arms ached from being over your head for so long. Some droplets managed to get on the fabric of your coat, remaining on the surface as they refused to sink in.

You heaved a bit of air in and out as your hands rested on your knees and you doubled over.

"Holy hell," you panted as you finally regained a steady breath, "The one time I didn't bring my umbrella." You looked around at the rain that seemed to have calmed down, your shopping bag returning to your palm as the handle slid down your arm.

Taking out your phone, you checked the weather to see that the rain has one hour left before it fully goes away. It didn't show any signs of calming down soon. This made your frown deepen. You had to get home and put the books you've bought into good use. Instead, you had to stray away further from your house on your day off.

Speaking of days off, you grumbled to yourself once your eyes landed on the familiar skyscraper in the distance.

The "De Residence," as you liked calling it. On a day off, you'd think you could stay away without having to deal with the sight of it. Yet, everywhere you went, it seemed to follow you. You liked the sights it had, that's for sure, but it was the boss that spiked up your nerves.

You met Ao Bing almost two years ago, when you were hired to be his personal assistant. He was a dickhead, that's for sure, spoiled rotten into thinking people were his play toys with no feelings whatsoever. You had heard that he fired 20 previous assistants, never satisfied with their performance and quick to dispose of them at every little mistake.

That's when you came in. You didn't understand why he kept you around. Surely, the previous 20 assistants were incomparable to you.  They at least had an idea of how to act. That's how you felt, at least.

But something kept him from firing you. You didn't know if it was because you were the most competent, or just kept to yourself. Maybe your imposter syndrome was through the roof and you didn't give yourself enough credit. Whatever the case may be, you weren't going to pry. For now.

The rain finally subsided, and only a weaker drizzle was visible. Considering the time you already wasted, you decided to head towards the nearest bus stop. You didn't care if you got wet anymore. That was a problem for future you.

You took in the different things you saw on display. When you weren't in a rush to get to work, you found being towered over by the city to be more bearable. You never had the time to take it all in, of course. Working for the third prince was a hefty deal.

"If there's any divine being up there," you whispered to yourself, "I bet they'll look after me if I ask to remain in peace a little longer-"

"What's the hold up?!" A familiar voice rang.

Okay, so. Maybe this divine being was going to test you today, instead.

You averted your eyes from the shop window and saw a familiar bulky figure holding an umbrella over someone else. It was one of Ao Bing's personal bodyguards. You saw the light tuft of hair peeking from over his shoulder, too. Apparently, he was on the phone waiting for his ride to arrive.

That's okay. It's not like it was any of your business. It was your day off, you were going to take a reroute, and you were going to leave him in peace to go figure it out by himself-