27

Sorry for leaving you with that cliffhanger earlier!
Last chapter of the day

Akaza's POV
Muzan stepped forward, and I countered that by taking two back. Just as I was about to turn and run down the mountain, my body froze. I wanted to run, to scream, hide, fight, anything except what the cells were forcing me to do. My eyes were locked on Kibutsuji in terror. This was the one demon who could and would kill me.

"You know, Akaza, out of all the uppermoons, I never thought you would be the one to go behind my back. Even young Rui was more likely to go against me than you."

Even though I couldn't see it, I heard a small meow and knew the cat had left with the vial. I breathed a small sigh of relief. At least I was able to contribute that much. I hope it helps.

"I know you didn't just guess I'd be coming here, so how did you know?" I asked angrily.

"I put the puzzle pieces together. Douma was thinking about how his arm hurt from when you took his blood to make a cure, and Kaigaku was wondering why you needed to come all the way to the top of this mountain. I'll be honest, I didn't expect you to be meeting a cat."

Damn it Douma- I should have told him to not think about it!

One of the fleshy extensions shot at me, wrapping tightly around my body. It pinned my arms to my sides, and my legs were wrapped up as well. I was lifted off the ground and held over a sheer cliff on the opposite side of the mountain.

"However, since you weren't directly plotting to kill me, I'll let you off easy."

A long, thick spike plunged into my heart. I gasped, wincing as it was pulled out. Black dots sprinkled the corners of my vision, and I was already feeling lightheaded from the loss of blood. A calm, senseless feeling spread over my body.

Is this what it feels like to die?

"I wouldn't be able to tell you, Akaza, because I never have, and never will." Muzan responded to my unspoken thought.

The giant flesh tentacle released me, and I fell freely through the empty air. I felt my body hit the ground, and everything went black.

Douma's POV
I was talking to Rui, Zenitsu, and Inosuke when the small spider demon, along with Kaigaku and Hantengu, gasped and covered their eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Rui looked up, small specks of blood on his palms. In his eyes read 'Upper Four'.

We were both confused. He hadn't challenged Hantengu for the rank, and even if he did, it would have no affect on Kaigaku. My heart skipped a beat. Wait... no, please no.... I ran over to Hantengu.

"Show me your eyes, now."

'Upper Three.'

I covered my mouth to keep from screaming. I shouldn't jump to conclusions, I shouldn't jump to conclusions, I shouldn't jump to conclusions, I took several deep breaths while Rui hugged me nervously around my torso.

Zenitsu walked up behind me, followed closely by Inosuke. "Douma, are you-" He saw the rank in Hantengu's eyes, and the tears beginning to form in mine.

I can't stay here- I ran as quickly as I could away from the others, breaking out of Rui's grasp.

"Douma, wait!" Rui called out.

Zenitsu put his hand out to stop the demon from chasing after me and shook his head slowly.

I ran blindly through the forest, not caring where I went, and not bothering to check the time. I didn't even notice when I broke through the tree line and burst out into a open field split in half by a fast-moving river.

I came to my senses when I reached the riverbank, staring down at my distorted reflection in the rapids. Tears blurred my vision, and I broke down crying, falling to my knees on the pebbled ground. Heart wrenching sobs wracked my body, the pain in my heart unbearable.

Heartbroken. I remember this emotion.

A hard lump formed in my throat, and my body shook uncontrollably under the weight of the memories and emotions in my head and heart.

Last time, Akaza yelled at me. That was when I met Rui.

Fresh tears streamed down my cheeks. I clutched my hands close to my chest and screamed. I screamed until my throat couldn't take any more, and closed in on itself. I choked back more cries.

Who killed him???

I backed up and sat on the grass, my knees up to my chest and my head resting in my arms. With all the hashira turned into demons, there was only one person I could think of.

Muzan.

I narrowed my eyes.

That bastard-

"Sir?" A gentle voice behind me said. I turned my head, quickly wiping away the tears on my face. "Are you okay? I heard you screaming from my house." The girl was beautiful, with light brown eyes, black hair, and yellow bangs.

I sniffed. "No, I just lost someone very close to me." I adverted my eyes, just in case she knew about demons and the twelve kizuki.

"Oh. I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about it?"

I thought for a second. "Not really."

"Do you want me to leave?"

I shook my head. "If you wouldn't mind, I'd enjoy the company."

"Alright." She said softly, sitting down next to me a couple feet away. After all, she did just meet me. "My name is Makio, what about you?"

Makio. Isn't that the name of one of Uzui's wives?

"Douma. By any chance, do you know a Tengen Uzui?"

Makio nearly jumped up. "Yes- have you seen him?! We haven't heard from him in a while, and we've started to worry."

"Not recently, but I do know he's alright." It was a half truth. He was safe, but I'd seen him just an hour earlier.

She showed me kindness, I'll show her some as well. I hope this gives her and his other wives a bit of peace of mind.

"That's good to hear." She was visibly more calm now, her shoulders more relaxed than before, and her smile wasn't as forced, although I could tell it still wasn't 100% genuine,

"Can I ask you for some advice?"

"Sure."

"I know who killed my partner, but he's much stronger than me, and I can't do anything to him without being killed. What should I do?"

"Well, you said you're not strong enough. What if you got someone else to help you? Is there anyone else already against whoever killed your partner?"

The thought hit me like a bullet. The cure!

"Yes, there is."

"Okay! Then I suggest you join them, or at least ally yourself with them until you deal with this murderer!" She made a quick punching motion with her fists to emphasize her point.

I chuckled lightly, getting to my feet. "Thanks for the advice, Makio." I remembered Akaza's insane amount of respect for women and bowed slightly. "I really appreciate it."

"Of course! And if you see Tengen again," she stood up. "Can you tell him his wives love him, and to come back as soon as possible?"

I met her gaze. Her eyes widened with shock when she saw the numbered rank in them. "I'll do that."

"Wait!" She called out as I turned away. "You're a member of the twelve kizuki!"

"And?"

"Well, I'm a human! And you didn't eat me, or attack me!"

I smiled sadly. "My partner was rank Upper Three. He would never harm a woman in any way, alive or dead."

Makio stood there with a shocked expression as I ran back to the mountain, racing the rising sun.

Lol
You all wanted the long way 😏😇😁