Chapter 8

Maddie

It has been two weeks since she saw James's parents at the restaurant, and she was on edge these past few weeks because of that. When she saw they didn't come, she finally could relax a bit and continue on working without looking every minute at the door and see if they came or if they told James where she was working right now.
"Maddie? Can you come to the office for a minute?" Maddie nodded her head and went with Dekota to her office.
"Is everything OK, Dekota?"
"Everything is wonderful. I've been thinking since you told me about your story and I've tried to find some evidences against John in the INTERNET, but there are none. The only thing that I find are the deaths of some women around your age that were killed mysteriously. Do you think it has something to do with him?" Dekota showed Maddie the information that she found on the INTERNET. Maddie read the article that Dekota found and couldn't believe it.

"Could you give me days off so I could go back to my hometown and investigate more about it and maybe find some evidences about John?"
"We'll do something even better. I'll come with you. Don't argue with me Maddie," Maddie closed her mouth when Dekota said those words, "I'm going with you. I will not leave you alone in that town, plus I'll help you investigate this thing."
Maddie hugged her friend, "thanks Dekota, I don't know what I would do without you in life. So, let's leave tomorrow early in the morning, because it's a long drive to Texas. Let's hope we'll find something." Maddie and Dekota planned their trip to Maddie's hometown and a place to stay while being there. They hope to go back to LA with some info about John.

At the next morning, Maddie and Dekota woke up at sunrise because they know this trip will be a long drive from LA to Houston. She packed a few clothes and some food for the road.
"I'm nervous a little. What if we find nothing?" Maddie was looking outside of Dekota's car window when she said those words.
"Don't worry Maddie, I'm here with you. I won't let anything happen to you, even if we find nothing, well that means that we'll have to work harder."
"You're right, Dekota, don't mind me. I'm nervous because just going back to where all my nightmares began is really hard for me. If you want me to change with you so you could sleep, just pull over and I'll drive."
"Don't worry, Maddie. I'm not sleepy yet, sleep a little and I'll wake you up when we get to our first stop."
"OK, don't forget to wake me up." Dekota nodded her head and Maddie closed her eyes for at least one hour so she could change with Dekota.

Few Hours Later

Maddie jump suddenly when she felt that someone was shaking her.
"Relax Maddie, it's just me." Maddie looked at her friend and relaxed.
"What time is it?" Maddie looked outside and saw that they had stopped at a gas station. "How long have you been driving?"
"Well, for 3 hours. Now get out of the car and go but something, I'm going to the toilet." Maddie felt dumb. Instead of sleeping for one hour, she slept for 3 hours. She got out of the car and stretched her back a bit and went to the store to buy some water and food for the rest of the road.
After a few minutes, Dekota came back from the bathroom and helped her with bags of food and drinks that she bought. When they came back to the car, Maddie sat on the driver's side.
"Now it's your turn to get some sleeping and I'm going to drive us the rest of the way. Don't look at me like that. I know you are tired from all this driving." Dekota sighed and sat in the passenger sit and shot her eyes to get some sleep.

For the rest of the ride, it went smoothly. They changed places two more times before arriving at her hometown. It has been almost two years since she ran away from there, but knew that those evidence won't come to her is she doesn't go to look for them. When they arrived at the town, it was already afternoon and the first thing they did was to check in at the hotel that Delora made a reservation. After they took their key to the room, they organized a bit and refreshed their self from the long road.
"Let's eat something at the hotel and then go back to the room to go through our plan for finding something on this."
"You're right Dekota, Today will relax a bit and plan it well." Maddie and Dekota organized their stuff and went to eat something at the hotel. The road to Houston was long and tiring and the only thing they wanted to do was to eat and sleep. That way, they can start their search with new strength.