"Tell me, would you kill to savor a life?
Tell me, would you kill to prove you're right?
Crash, crash.
Burn.
Let it all burn.
Thus hurricane's chasing us all under ground."

- Hurricane, 30 Seconds to Mars

*

Grandmama holds on to Gina as if she were her lifeline and the only thing between them and the Red Shadow was Fen, trembling but refusing to back down from the monster.

"No!" I scream. The Red Shadow snaps his head in my direction. I was frozen under his soulless gaze. Those obsidian orbs locked with mine.

"Cora, get out of here!" Fen ordered. The Red Shadow grabbed Fen and put him between the monster and I.

The Red Shadow held a sharp claw to Fen's throat, threatening to slit it at any given moment.

"Cora..."

My eyes went wide at my name. It knows my name. What could that monster possibly want with me?

Gaining any kind of courage within me, I say in a shakey voice, "Is it me...you want?"

Slowly the Red Shadow nodded. My heart dropped and my mind went blank. Oh God, please help me.

The sake of my family lies on my shoulders. I can't just sit here and do nothing.

"If I go with you," I say, slowly walking up to him, "You have to promise me you'll let my family live."

A single nod. The deal has been made.

Using it's tail, it grabbed a big green container from behind it's back and crushed it. A blue gas leaked from the contraption and we all began to choke.

My throat and eyes began to burn--I can't breathe! A black frame formed in my vision and I could see my family struggling for air.

In a split second, I saw my Grandmama and Gina fall to the ground and Fen go limp.

The last thing I saw were those beady black eyes. The eyes of the monster I had given my life to.

*

I woke up to darkness. I was dead, this I knew. I could feel the tears drop down my cheeks and my body was completely numb.

I can never see my family. I can never see my new friends and lover. I had everything in the palm of my hand. And with the snap of a finger, all that slipped through like sand in an hourglass.

Unintentionally, I move my arm. It's then when I realize I wasn't dead. I was well alive and on a soft fabric. Gliding my arms over the soft fabric, I regain all feeling.

Shifting my body position, I sit up but I can't see anything. I hold up my hands and move them but all I see is black.

Had I been buried alive? I can still breathe, so I don't think I have.

I throw my legs over the edge of what I figured out was a bed, I let my toes feel the ground below me. It was a briskly yet soft ground. It felt like a rug.

Spreading my toes and letting the tassels kiss the bottom of my feet, I force myself up from the bed.

Do I dare call hello? What if the Red Shadow hears me? I need to be as quiet as I can and find a way out of here.

Holding my arms in front of me and walking around in the dark aimlessly, I come across something solid. I think it's a wall.

Gliding my fingers over the smooth surface, I find a crease. After a few minutes of feeling around I figure out it's a door.