1.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTENT CONTAINS GORE, SEXUAL THEMES, AND SOME HARSH LANGUAGE. IF ANY OF THIS OFFENDS YOU, I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE AND SUGGEST YOU READ OTHER SHIT.

NOW THAT THAT'S OUTTA THE WAY, ENJOY!~ :3

------------------------

"Holy water cannot help you now.
A thousand armies couldn't keep me out.
I don't want your money, I don't want your crown.
See I've come to burn your kingdom down.

And no rivers or lakes can put the fire out.
I'm gonna raise the stakes.
I'm gonna smoke you out."

- Seven Devils, Florence + The Machine

*

Huddled together on the couch, my younger sister, my older brother, and I wait out the muffled cries and screams that echoed through the night. My younger sister, Gina, holds on tightly to my arm and I can feel it go numb from the tightness. I glance over to my grandmother who looks out the window. After a second, she closes the green cloth curtain and keeps her eyes to the ground. I think she was trying to forget the horrific sight she just witnessed.

Another scream sounds.

We've created some sick game to it. How it goes is we count by the seconds it takes for another howl of pain to break the silence.

"That one took four,"Gina whispers.

Immediately, my older brother, Fen, hushes her. My grandmother takes a seat next to us and takes out my mother's old locket, caressing it with her thumb.

A lump in my throat forms as I see the locket. A brass disk with a rose engraved in it. My mother was killed by the beast along with my father. They died together.

Although it broke me to the core that my parents are dead, I'm relieved that at least they had each other when they breathed their last breaths.

I took a glance at the clock and it said 24:03. It's midnight and the Red Shadow was still out there. Killing. Prowling. Hunting for the next victim.

I briefly review the history I learned of the monster in my head.

In the summer of 2029, a hovercraft was found over China. It stood there for about three days and when the hovercraft finally exposed it's occupants, there were three of them in total. Three aliens. Together, they drove the human race to extinction. Every night for years they went out and killed any human being they saw. They would even break into homes and mutilate the innocent families inside.

Slowly, the world went silent. As the numbers on human life deteriorated rapidly, two of the aliens left earth. But only one remains.

The Red Shadow.

I've never personally seen the Red Shadow, but I have heard plenty of stories of his appearance.

A foul, lizard like creature who roams the streets at night, tearing people apart and drinking their crimson blood. His dark copper scales earned him his nickname and his claws were at least six inches long. He had teeth meant for tearing and searing flesh. And he used his huge arms to break skulls and bones.

One thing that people said was truly terrifying about him, was his merciless, beady eyes that were as black as the moonless sky.

I shivered at the thought. I've never seen the monster in sight or in action, and God willing, I never do.