~Chapter four~

| Just friends |

Alenn opened the door and walked inside, only to see his cousin pacing around the sitting room. His eyes darted to his furious uncle and worried aunty sitting on the long sofa. He breathed in deeply, ready for the worst.

"Uncle good afternoon. Good afternoon aunty," he greeted, going closer to them.

"Where are you coming from? It's been over an hour school dismissed. Why are you just coming back? And why didn't you come back with the driver?"

Alenn inhaled deeply, not knowing which to answer first. "I decided to walk home today."

There was a long silence as he stared his uncle eye to eye before looking at his aunty.

"I don't have any problem with you walking home by yourself, but don't you think you need to give us heads up when making rash decisions on your own?"

Alenn gasped incoherently as his brows furrowed at his uncle's statement. "Rash decisions? Uncle am nineteen-"

"Nobody asked you. Look young man, this is my house and you need to give me some respect. As long as you're here, am your guardian and I need to remind you that this is Nigeria- you don't talk to elderly ones however you like!"

Alenn stiffened. "I din ask to come to Nigeria....." He said sluggishly.

"I don't care. You need to loosen up kid. Let this not repeat itself again! Am I cleared?"

He nodded quietly with tears forming in his eyes, "yes sir."

His uncle stood up and walked out, going up the stairs.

Alenn fought to contain his emotions and not break down. He felt a soft pat on his left shoulder and lifted his face to meet his aunty's sympathetic gaze. He swallowed hard with a blink.

"Don't worry, we didn't say anything to your parents," she said assuringly.

He forced a rueful smile. "Thank you."

"But you had me worried about you...." Her hand went up to his face and she caressed his cheek lightly with a smile.

"Am sorry," he apologized sincerely and she nodded slightly.

"Go upstairs and change into something comfortable. Your food is waiting for you."

He nodded obediently and left.
                                               🍃
Alenn sat down at the edge of the large bed and heaved a loud sigh. His eyes roamed his room before landing on one of the paintings on the wall. He stared at it for a long time.

That one art piece that will always give him chills whenever he looks at it despite the fact that it belongs to him. The rising sun shining brightly at the peak of the wobbling ocean.

He sighed again and on looking away, he paused as her bold face flashed in his mind. Why did this piece of drawing remind him of her? He closed his eyes calmly and pictured her face, vividly this time.

She smiled. That smile she gave when their eyes locked in the library. He could not return it, else he would have lost his cool. Completely!

"You don't know what you want from me?" Her stare in his face turned into a retarded one with her brows coming in contact. "Two things are involved right now. It's either you're crushing on me or you're just a stalker."

"Am not a stalker and it's anything but crushing on you," he replied calmly.

Kaima felt embarrassed. She blinked severally, looking for words to defend her suspicions but found none. "Fine! Atleast walk on your own now!" She huffed at his face.