Part 14

Sunday came and went without me answering George. This did not mean that my thoughts were free of him for the remainder of the weekend. I would much rather have spent that time thinking about William...

But I just had this nagging feeling at the back of my mind screaming that something was off. 

For starters, how did George get my number to begin with? There was probably a myriad of ways in which one could get another person's number without asking them directly. But choosing this route seems, I don't know, like an invasion of privacy...

Come on Elizabeth, now you're being paranoid.

Maybe... I know I tend towards being overly cautious. But still, I think it would be best to ignore George for the time being and not encourage him any further. 

I'm not interested in him in the least. Especially not after this weekend...

Should I tell William about the message from George?

No, that's a terrible idea. William and I are just starting to get along.

Besides, George is somewhat of a sore spot for William. It would be best not to upset him unnecessarily. 

He completely flipped his top when George left a message on my answering machine at work. Imagine how William would react to a message from him on my personal phone. He'd jump to the worst possible conclusions. 

He'd assume that I'd given George my number a long time ago and that we'd been secretly in contact for months. He'd think that I lied to him when he flat-out asked me whether we were involved.

No, I'll just delete the message. I'm sure that George will get bored and move on. 

I walk into my little cubicle, trying to gather my thoughts and prepare for the day ahead. 

I stopped dead in the doorway.

Everything was gone... my office had been completely stripped bare. Even the calendar had been removed from my wall.

This was strange. 

There was only one person who could be behind this. 

I rapped my knuckles on the hard-wood door before swinging it open. 

And there he sat behind his desk, in all his glory. His eyes lifted from the documents in front of him at the sound of the door opening. 

He took his time taking in my appearance from head to toe. What would have usually left me anxious and unsettled, now made a whole different kind of angst flow through me. His burning gaze finally rested on my face once more. 

"Good morning Elizabeth, glad you could finally make it into the office," He greeted, smirking.

"You're the one who's here earlier than usual," I blurted out before thinking. 

William only quirked an eyebrow at my response, finding it more amusing than anything else. 

This is so not the most important thing right now Elizabeth.

My eyes travelled through William's office and my suspicions were confirmed. 

My desk was planted right next to his and I could be wrong, but it seemed even closer than it had been the previous time we shared an office. 

I walked over to my desk with all of my belongings neatly placed back precisely where they had been in my previous office. Even my cat-covered calendar had been nailed to the wall right behind my desk. It looked ridiculously out of place in William's otherwise immaculately decorated office. 

How, no, better yet, when did he do all of this? 

"Why on earth has my stuff been moved back in here again?" I asked, still frowning at the cat calendar that had been nailed to the wall with unnecessary precision. 

"Well," William said right next to my ear, making me jump.

How long has he been standing behind me?

"It's so incredibly tedious to call for you through the intercom the whole time," He continued, his arms slipping around my waist, pulling me flush against him. "This is so much more efficient, don't you think?" He asked, lips brushing against my neck as he spoke. 

A shiver ran down my spine. 

I could only nod, my mind being reduced to a useless organ through his contact.

"Besides, there's so much space in here. It almost feels like a waste to have it all to myself." He continued, his fingers grazing my sides.

"You could have waited until I was back in the office before moving everything you know."

The fact that I was sharing an office with William wasn't bothering me. The idea of working in such close quarters with him pleased me very much this time around.

"And have all those IT guys fawning all over you again? I think not." He responded, placing a branding kiss on my cheek. 

He released me, leaving me cold without his touch. By the time he was sitting behind his desk once more, I was still standing frozen on the spot. 

"Elizabeth, although I do appreciate the view," he said, eyes travelling up my legs once more, "we do actually have some work to do today. If you keep standing there, I'll never be able to focus on any of it."

"Right," I said, as a vicious blush spread over my cheeks.

I rushed behind my desk and busied myself with starting up my laptop.

William only chuckled before drawing his attention back to the papers on his desk. 

Even his laugh was unbelievably alluring. 

Bloody hell, this man was going to ruin me...