"There was only meant to be one," she said, tears running down her face. "Only one."

Hermione flinched when Catherine screamed.

She thrashed wildly and Henry started crying.

Hermione took several steps back. She didn't know how much time passed after that, but eventually she heard the midwife speak again.

"Come on, love. One more push..."

Catherine's neck glistened with sweat. "I can't!"

"Yes, you can, come on now..."

Catherine screamed in agony, but the sounds that tore from her throat were soon drowned out by the wails of a new baby.

"A girl!" the midwife exclaimed.

Catherine collapsed onto the bed, exhausted.

She said nothing as the midwife tended to the child.

Instead, she stared up at the ceiling, and there was a haunted look in her eyes.

Hermione looked anxiously at the door. Tom would be home any minute now...

"Would you like to hold your daughter?" the midwife asked.

Catherine nodded.

Hermione watched as Catherine took hold of her daughter for the first time. Tears trickled down her face, and she stroked the child's hair with trembling hands. She was quiet for several moments, then she spoke.

"You have to send her away before my husband returns."

The midwife frowned at her. "You're tired, you don't know what you're sayin'. You'll feel better once you've had some rest."

"NO!" Catherine reached for her arm. "He only expects one child, we can set her free."

She placed the baby in the midwife's arms again.

The midwife looked at her like she'd gone mad. "Your husband will be glad to have two children. Surprised maybe, but glad. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about."

Catherine lost her patience. "That's not what concerns me." She covered her face with her hands. "You don't know what he's like..."

The midwife set the baby down. "Is he violent with you?"

She pulled aside Catherine's collar to look at her neck, then she inspected her arms and legs. "I see no marks or bruises on you."

Catherine looked up at her. "You don't understand. He inflicts harm, but he leaves no traces of it."

The midwife raised an eyebrow, and decided she was dealing with a delirious patient. "Your troubles with your husband are none of my business," she said firmly. "You need rest."

"I'll prove it to you," said Catherine, her face set with determination. "Hand me that vial...over there."

She pointed to a cabinet at the far end of the room. Perched on top, was a glass filled with a dark green potion.

Eager to calm her, the midwife collected the potion and returned to her bedside. She held the vial up to the light. "What is this?" she asked. "Some kind of tonic?"

Catherine tore it out of her grasp.

"Wait!" The midwife shouted, fearful she might hurt herself.

Catherine uncapped the vial, but instead of drinking it, she tipped it over. The potion spilled onto her arms.

The midwife gasped.

Markings became visible on Catherine's skin...symbols burned into her flesh...

They sparked something in Hermione's memory, she was almost certain she'd seen them before in an old text at Hogwarts.