0.1

I look down at my watch and sigh as I sit in the all-white waiting room where Ian and I are supposed to be meeting our wedding planner. Seriously, everything is white— the walls, the floors, the rugs, the furniture, the decor. I'm afraid to even walk in here in fear of messing anything up.

I look over at Ian who is wearing a gray wool suit with a light blue tie, contrasting a little against the white interior of this place. He's on the phone, presumably with a co-worker, as he paces in front of one of the many large windows that fill the space with natural light, making it even brighter.

I sigh once more as I realize I'm probably going to be late to work which means that Ian is going to be late, and that is never good. Sometimes I think he cares more about his job than he does anything else. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but when I'm off the clock, it doesn't exist. I guess I just wish Ian were like that as well. There's always a call to make or an email to respond to with him. There's never much us time.

That's why when he asked me to marry him a few months ago, I was completely shocked. I truly didn't think the idea of marrying me, or anyone, had ever crossed his mind, especially after the things we've went through. But here we are, sitting in this way-too-pristine lobby while we wait for our planner who was supposed to meet with us exactly thirteen minutes ago.

"Hello, I apologize for the wait. A meeting before yours ran behind," The wedding planner seems to appear out of nowhere, her shoes clicking against the marble flooring, right on cue as well. "You must be the bride."

"I'm Lucy, very nice to meet you," I smile at her as I stand to shake her left hand, harboring a ring of her own. "This is Ian, he's taking a work call right now."

"Understandable! I am Natasha and it's a pleasure to meet you as well," She flashes a smile at both of us, her perfectly white teeth glowing beautifully against her dark skin. "We can step into my office and go over a few things."

I nod and turn around to pinch Ian lightly on the arm, telling him to please pay attention. He nods and follows us behind two frosted glass doors.

"I'll be in as soon as I can, thanks," Ian says to whoever is on the other line, hanging up the phone. Finally. He and I sit down in the two leather chairs that are placed in front of her white desk. Across the room, Natasha fills up two glasses with cucumber water from a glass pitcher and walks over, placing them in front of us before taking her own seat behind her desk.

"So, let's go over some likes and dislikes, shall we?"

•••

After what felt like the longest meeting ever with almost zero progress, I finally arrive at work. As I exit the elevator on the floor I work on, I see the doors waiting at the end of the short hall that has the word MANIA spread across both of them.

The company has been in my family for over thirty years. That many years ago, my grandfather moved to New York to pursue his career in fashion. It ultimately led to Mania Magazine, which I have the privilege of working at. In college, I was lost and not sure what I wanted to do or be. I settled for a degree in Communications and a job working for my family.

I guess I still don't know what I want to do or be.

I make my way through the bustling atmosphere of my workplace, smiling at everyone I pass and greeting the ones that stop long enough so I can. I then make my way into my medium-sized office and set my things down on my glass desk.

I look over and see the piles of folders sitting on my file cabinet that is placed directly beside my desk. I grab them and plop them down firmly in front of me before I sit in my chair.