She was quiet.

"Be honest with yourself. If the role was reversed, would you not take the same opportunity Asher did? If mom and dad weren't standing in the way, no school. Nothing was tying you down. You'd be across the country too."

"Yeah, that's what he said to me. He said nothing was holding him here like I didn't matter."

"I don't think that's what he meant. Yeah he had you here, a job, but opportunities like those don't happen often."

"We were going to go in the fall together!"

"Hey, I get that, but sometimes you have to make a move sooner than you think. I wasn't planning on going into the draft as soon as I did, but I was hot. Why would I wait another year just for me to finish college. Some things you can come back to. For Asher, for someone that's been on his own for quite some time, he went with his instinct."

All she did was nod.

"Still sucks."

"I know it does, but your time will come. The two of you will be reunited and whatever you do, it's up to you."

"You're cool with me dating Asher?"

I shrugged.

"It's not up to me. I just want you to be happy. Will I kick his ass if he hurts you, absolutely. He's a good kid though. You're in good hands if and when you decide to give him a chance."

"I just want to be able to date on my terms. We have an understanding."

"Well if that's the case, who cares what anyone else thinks."

"Mmm."

I raised my brow.

"I'm going inside," she said quietly.

"Wait, hold up. What happened?"

"Huh?"

"What happened at the dinner with your friend?"

"Nothing" she mumbled.

She stood up and went inside. As I followed her, the doorbell rang.

"Park it in the chair. I'll be right back."

She sighed, but listened. Opening the door, there was the food. Taking it back in the kitchen, Vaughn was on her phone.

"Tell Asher I said hi."

"I'm texting mom. Asher isn't the only person I talk to."

I grabbed plates for the both of us before sliding one her way with the food.

"Did you eat dinner?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Uh, that's a lie. Come on. Don't make me call mom and snitch."

Her eyes bugged out.

"No, no. That won't be necessary."

Halfway through, I decided to press her on what triggered this panic attack of hers.

"So..."

She looked up at me.

"What happened at dinner with your friend? What friend was it anyway?"

"Luna. The one I went to the club with."

"You're still hanging out with her?"

"Hey, I don't judge your friends and you got in a hell of a lot more shit then I did when you were my age."

"Okay, fair enough. What did she say to you?"

"She and Asher don't like each other. I never really questioned it because it's not my business. She said that she saw he was in Japan and hoped I could help her how I helped him. He supposedly got close to me to use my connections and is taking advantage of me. Then she said he'd be doing his own thing, fucking whoever."