Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Has she said anything yet?" Jay asked his assistant. Jay stood, staring into a lab room, awaiting the answer to his question.

"No sir." His assistant, Ortis replied. "She's resisted everything we've tried." Jay frowned.

"Keep it up." He said. "She can't last much longer like this."

"Yes sir." Ortis replied, then turned and left. Jay looked back out to the lab; a smirk growing on his face.

*

"So, Fury," Emily began. "How long have you been here for?" Emily asked as she and Fury walked through the building.

"Longer than you've been alive," Fury replied. "And can you keep it small with the questions, we're kinda in a hurry here."

Emily did not hear him.

"How long has this place been active? How did it begin? Do you spy on bad guys?" she asked in one breathe.

"Why don't spy on people. We monitor them," Fury replied. "And enough with the questions."

"Well, that's technically spying," Emily said. Fury looked at her.

"No, it's not." He spoke.

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not."

Emily paused.

"Here's me thinking I was the kid," she smirked and continued to walk. Fury stopped, dumbfounded for a moment. "Come on Nick." She called.

"Fury! Not Nick," he called as he went after her. "No one calls me Nick."

"Oh, I'm definitely calling you that now," Emily chuckled as they entered a large room with a glass ceiling. There were people sitting at long desks with computers. Each of them had a headset on and were talking. The chatter filled Emily's head as her eyes did a loop around the room. "Woah." She whispered. In the middle of the room, there was a large table with a few people standing around it. They looked up at Emily and Fury.

"Director." One with brown hair greeted. He was a short and a reasonably young male; probably in his late 30s.

"Coulson." Fury replied with a nod. He turned to the rest of the group. "Agents, this is Emily Gray. Newest member of SHIELD by my personal invitation." A few members of the group shared glances.

"Member?" Another male began.

"I know what you're thinking Agent Barton," Fury replied. "I know what I'm doing. And we have a deal."

"A deal?" the female asked. "How so?"

"We have a rescue mission," Fury began. "We have tracked down a HYDRA base and someone is imprisoned there that Gray needs to free." He explained. "Agent Barton, you're first on the list." The other brown haired one who Emily assumed to be Agent Barton, looked dumbstruck.

"Sir?" he asked.

"Don't argue Barton. You're the most qualified." Fury replied sternly. Barton let out a sigh.

"Yes sir." He sighed.

"Hill, you're in charge while I'm gone," Fury said as he turned to the female.

"Gone?" she asked. "Sir, you don't mean to say you're going too?"

Emily looked at the female strangely. Emily didn't see why this was necessary. They were wasting time. And anyway, Emily had no clue who these people were and now they were saying they're going to help her? It didn't make sense. The agents also did not seem to feel the need to hide their irritation.

"Yes. I'll be going." Fury replied. "Get what you need Barton; ten minutes."

The man sighed and departed from the room, leaving Hill and Coulson. Fury turned to Emily.

"If you're gonna be part of this then you're gonna need more than that," he said, signaling to the casual clothes she was in. Emily frowned. What else was she supposed to change into?

"I don't know what you mean," she said. Fury sighed.

"Follow me." He said as he led her out the room and down the corridor. He stopped at a locked door and put his hand on the keypad. The keypad came to life as it scanned Fury's hand. The door then chimed and swung open. The lights flickered on as Emily saw hanging, a bunch of... suits? "There should be something in here for you," He spoke. "I would recommend this one." He pointed to a black and grey suit, then turned and left the room. Emily stared at the suit. This all seemed crazy; why on earth would Fury think she would want to put on that? It looked ridiculous for starters and there was no colour. Emily turned to the keypad next the suit and tapped it. A range of colors appeared on it as she clicked the blue. The grey parts of the suit suddenly turned blue. Emily stared at it. She then went to click red and so it changed again. She swiped through a few colors until it stopped on purple. She smiled as she selected the colour.

"Trust me Hill, I know what I'm doing. You didn't see what I saw." Emily heard Fury say as she entered the main room again.

"What did you see?" Emily asked suspiciously. Fury jolted a little but turned to her. He looked at her suit and chuckled.

"You like purple, don't you?" he asked. Emily glared; he had changed the subject purposefully. He didn't want her to know something.

"What were you talking about?" Emily asked. Hill shot a look at Fury, Emily saw it. "Your agent clearly knows. What aren't you telling me?"

"It had nothing to do with you," Fury replied. Emily frowned. She knew somehow that he was lying but decided it wasn't worth the effort to peruse the subject.

"The tech on this suit is great," Emily began, still irritated. "How did SHIELD make it?"

"SHIELD didn't." Fury said. "We have scientists that make this sort of thing." He added. Loud bangs echoed through the room as Barton entered again.

"Ready Director." He said, while holding a bow and arrow. Emily tried her best to hold in a snort but couldn't. Barton turned to glare, and Fury looked like he was deciding whether to smile or frown.

"You're gonna help take down the lab with a bow and arrow?" Emily asked as she began to laugh.

"At least I have a skill," Barton replied with a hint of irritation. "I haven't seen what's so special about you."

Emily rolled her eyes and left the room, but before the door shut behind her, she heard Fury speak.

"You will." He said.