Chapter 1

Chapter One

Emily awoke with a start. It took her a few minutes to calm herself down before she could get up to get a drink. Her mother was awake in the kitchen already cooking breakfast. Just as she was about to leave, she saw that she was sweating all over. She rushed to her mirror and grabbed a towel and wet it. Then rubbed her face clean and set the towel down again. She looked at her reflection. She still looked white, and her arms and legs were sweaty. Emily knew she couldn't let her mother see her like this, she would worry. Her mother would worry every time Emily brought up these dreams. Emily hated these dreams just as much her mother. It was a painful reminder of her early childhood, which she spent in a laboratory being experimented on. Her mother, Sarah, had rescued her from there and raised her as her own. She wasn't her real mother, Emily knew that, but she still thought of her as one. She never went into detail of how she got there or her real family. Every time Emily would ask, Sarah would change the subject. Emily eventually gave up. After all, her life was better now, no laboratory and no doctors. It was just her and her mother. But Emily still longed to know her real parents; she wanted to find them. She wanted to talk with them and ask why they let her get kidnapped. Emily had flashbacks of her parents, but their faces were always blurred. She was only small when she was taken away, but that didn't mean she didn't know what she had been through. She still could see images of the prison and she could some days still feel the places where they had injected her and cut open her body.

"Emily? Could you come here?" came Sarah's voice, interrupting her thoughts.

"Coming!" she shouted back as she stood up and ran down the stairs. She ran into the kitchen and sat down. It was only then that she realized how small their kitchen was; but it was big enough for the two of them.

"Morning...how'd you sleep?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah okay." Emily replied, trying to make it sound like she was telling the truth. Sarah did not look convinced but didn't pursue the subject.

"I'm off to work, there's food in the fridge. I should be home by six." Sarah said as she grabbed her keys.

"Okay. I'll expect you home at seven." Emily smirked. Sarah always came home later than what she said.

"Very funny." Sarah said as she grabbed her bag and opened the front door. "See you later." She said as the door slammed shut behind her.

As soon as the door had shut, Emily stood up and ran to her room. She went over to her bed and ducked under, looking for the hole in her mattress. Her hand found the hole and she pulled out a piece of paper. The paper was a letter that Emily had found, and it was addressed to Sarah. She had found it yesterday while Sarah was at work, there was no mention on a sender and there was no trace of where it was from. Emily didn't think that Sarah had seen the letter, because it was sealed when she found it. There was, however, a symbol in the corner. Emily didn't recognize it though. It was red and had skull of a human. Coming out of the skull were tentacles of some kind. It was a very strange symbol from Emily's point of view. She ripped open the letter and pulled out the piece of paper within.

To Agent 13,

We have located you. If you do not hand over what is rightfully ours then you will feel the full force of us.

Dr Clarke.

Emily stared blankly at the letter; her mind numb with an overloading of thoughts. Who on earth was this person and why were they contacting Sarah? They sounded dangerous and Emily was worried that they may be serious. And if they were, she had to protect Sarah, but she didn't know how. How would a ten-year-old protect her mother from a bunch of older men who were a lot stronger than her? There was not much special about Emily. She was only a bit wiser than most kids but that was it. There was nothing she would be able to do to stop them. Emily decided the most logical thing to do was call Sarah, make sure she knew. She stood and quickly ran to kitchen where the landline was. Pulling the phone down and dialing the number, she wondered what would happen if Sarah didn't pick up. The phone rung dully for fifteen seconds...no pickup. Thirty...no pickup. Emily was getting desperate now...

"Come on... come on..." She whispered to herself as the dial tone began to ring through. Emily roughly pushed the phone back onto the holder. If Sarah was not responding just because she was busy, then Emily would be pissed. She had just discovered something potentially dangerous, and Sarah wasn't picking up the phone. Emily stormed back up to her room. Slamming the door, she pulled out the letter again and studied it. It seemed like a normal letter but with no trace of where it had come from. No sender, nothing. One thing caught her attention...that name... Dr Clarke, it seemed familiar... Emily couldn't' put a face to it though. She had heard it before, she was sure. Then there was the symbol on the envelope, she had seen it somewhere. She was certain of that; but looking at the letter made her feel queasy. She put it down and ran back downstairs to try again. But before she got the phone, Emily looked at the clock. 11:02 am... it had been longer than she thought. Emily picked the phone back up and dialed the same number. This time, the phone only rung for a few seconds before cutting off. Emily pulled the phone away from her ear and stared at it. Maybe it was broken? She tried one last time to get a hold of Sarah. The phone rung for longer this time when suddenly a buzzing rung through. Emily shook the phone, trying to get it to ring but instead she heard a distorted voice.

"Agent...thir—thirteen..." it said. Emily froze.

"Hello?" she asked. The voice continued.

"D-do...n-not...under...estimate...u-us...Emily...Gray."

Emily dropped the phone.