Prologue

Prologue

Emily looked up at the ceiling, the lights had just turned out. She knew what was about to happen and dread spread through her entire body. Why would they do this to a child? It made no sense. She hadn't done anything wrong; she had not protested when they gave her the injections, she had not screamed as the blue liquid traveled through her veins. What had she done to deserve this? Emily knew she was innocent but any other four-year-old would not have been so smart.

Emily was wiser than most children, the scientists had made that clear. She, herself also knew this; but she didn't know how or why. She looked different as well. The scientists had told her that she was actually born with her purple hair. It wasn't a reaction to the experiments; it was just the way she was. She didn't know how that was possible, but they seemed sure.

She had never known her parents; all she could remember was this. This place. This prison. The scientists had given her the name 'Emily Gray'. However, most of the time they addressed her as experiment 23.

The chair Emily was strapped began to move forward. All of the scientists had left the room and were watching from the window outside when the main doctor spoke over the intercom.

"Experiment 23. Today you will be undergoing another surgery. But first, we need you unconscious." He said as he saw Emily go white. The scientist clicked a button, then everything went black.