Memories

TW: drugs, kidnapping

2 Years Ago

Ray sat at a cozy coffee shop with her an iced coffee and a stack of brand new college textbooks on the table. She gently swished the ice around the coffee and took a long sip. A soft sound of jazz played in the background and the strong smell of coffee surrounded the small cafe. She intensely stared at the books in front of her that cost more than her rent. She picked them up at the college book shop, along with her schedule before she arrived at the cafe to meet her twin, who was running late. This was a usual occurrence for her brother who lost track of time and easily got distracted. By the time he would arrive, her coffee would be gone, then maybe he'd buy her another one because he'd feel guilty.

She was so engulfed in the books that she didn't realize that a man with dark curly hair and a suit sat down at the table next to her. He held a small white cup filled with hot espresso as he watched the young girl in front of him. Ray snapped out of it when the man cleared his throat.

"You got a lot of books there," the man in the suit said, pointing to her tall stack of books.

"Honestly, college books are a scam," Ray scoffed out of frustration.

"How come?" The man asked and sipped his hot drink.

"One of these books costs as much as my car payment." She loudly sipped on her coffee to mimic the man.

"I guess so. I work at that bookshop down the road." He pointed at the neat brick building with green awning at the end of the road.

"Oh!" Ray sounded interested as she leaned forward to get a closer look at the building. She didn't know anyone in the town except for her brother, so making a new friend sounded like a good idea. "My name is Ray."

She smiled at the mysterious man. He had a nice smile, styled curly hair, and a freshly pressed suit. He piqued her curiosity. Why did he have a suit on in the coffee shop?

"I'm Joe," he extended his arm to introduce himself.

Ray stared at his hand with an emotionless expression as she had not been treated this politely by the opposite gender before. He retrieved it back after a few seconds. Before moving to the college town, Ray got out of a toxic relationship with a guy who only cared about looks, other people's opinions, and social status. The politeness from the slightly older guy in a suit seemed foreign.

"Nice to meet you."

"Are you planning on carrying all those books by yourself?" Joe raised his eyebrow.

"My brother will be here any minute." She looked at her phone, hoping that he would arrive soon.

"Okay. It is nice to meet you, Ray, but I have to return to work."

The man, Joe, exited the coffee shop, leaving her feeling confused and intrigued.

*

Oh, and who are you? You look so lonely just sitting there by yourself with a stack of books that is hiding your face. You look like a lost angel in the halo of light. I must get to know you.