11 years

(Past- January, 1983)
"What are you saying Steve? Are you choosing Nancy Wheeler over me?" Y/N stood up, watching as Steve combed his hand through his hair, sighing.

"Of course. How did I not see this coming? You know, I had news for you, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore." Y/N began to walk off, Steve stopping her.

"What news? C'mon, tell me Y/N." Steve asked, confused.

"It doesn't matter anymore." She removed his hand from her arm, walking out Steve's front door.

(Present- October, 1994)
Y/N
Walking through Hawkins after 11 years was odd. Back in 1983, when you were merely 17 years old, the town was beeming when energy. But, you managed to escape before all the tragedy struck. You were shocked to hear about Will Byers' disappearance and Barb Holland's death.

You had noticed what seemed to be the remains of a mall. Things had certainly changed.

"Mom. Can you please give me my basketball back?" Jeremy whined as he walked along the sidewalk.

"Once we get to Nana and Pop's house, you can have it back. They have a basketball ring still up in the backyard." You smiled, watching as your son jumped up and down excitedly.

Getting to Nana and Pop's house, you hugged your parents, happy to see them.

"Mom said I could play with the basketball!" Jeremy smiled as your mom took him out the back, leaving you and Pop to talk.

"How's the chief? Been a long time since I've seen him..." You smiled.

"He, uh, died 9 years ago. In the fire that burned down the mall..." Pop sighed, hearing the door bell ring.

"I'll get it." You smiled, standing up. Opening the front door, you let the handle go, slightly shocked to see Steve Harrington at your parents door.

"Hey, Y/N." Steve smiled, entering the house.

"Steve! I'm glad you're here. We almost ran out bread this morning..." Pop smiled.

"Bread? You deliver bread?" You smiled at Steve, who handed the crate over to your dad.

"I deliver bread to the older members of community every week. Your parents are the last people I see before I head home." Steve smiled, sitting down. Pop, brought tea into the room, allowing Steve to pour himself some.

"How have you been?" Steve asked, leaning back against the couch.

"I've been fine. The past...11 years have certainly been tough." You smiled, thinking about Jeremy. Just as you thought about him, Jeremy ran into the room, the basketball in his hands.

"Mom! Come play with us, please? Nana won't play unless you do..." Jeremy asked, trying to pull you off the couch.

"Not now, honey. I'm catching up with an old friend." You looked at Steve, who smiled.

"Jeremy, this is Steve. Steve, this is Jeremy...my son." You spoke, Steve looking like he was confused.

"Hey, Jeremy. It's so nice to meet you. How about you let your mommy and I continue our conversation, and then she'll come out and play in 10 minutes." Steve shook Jeremy's hand before Jeremy ran off.

"So, he's your kid?" Steve asked, leaning back.

"Yep. His birthday was a month ago." You smiled, thinking about Jeremy's 11th birthday party and all the fun he had.

"How old is he?" Steve calmly asked. You didn't want to answer. You didn't want Steve finding out the truth.

You looked away.

"Y/N, how old is he?" Steve asked, this time sounding a little more upset.

"Steve, I-" You could barely get the words out.

"Y/N! For god sake! How old is Jeremy?!" Steve stood up, angry. He didn't hurt you, but you knew he was pissed.

When you didn't answer him, Steve started pacing, before he noticed that Jeremy was back inside.

"Jeremy, buddy, how old are you?" Steve asked, bending down to be at Jeremy's level.

"Leave Jeremy out of this..." You requested.

"Jeremy, how old are you?" Steve asked one more time, Jeremy now close to crying.

"Stop asking him that, Steve! Can't you see he's clearly upset?" You begged Steve.

"Well I'm getting upset because no one is answering my question!" Steve errupted, freaking Jeremy out.

"Jeremy, can you please tell me how old you are?" Steve calmed down and asked Jeremy the same question one more time.

"I'm 11." Jeremy answered before running outside.

"He's 11." Steve was shocked at first, but then he sat down.

"If he's 11, then that means...oh my god. Is he my son?" Steve asked.

"Yes. I found out back in 1983, 2 days before you dumped me. I was going to tell you, but then you broke up with me so you could be with Nancy." You sighed.

"That was the news that you decided not to tell me." Steve was shocked by this new discovery.

"Yep, and I knew from that moment on that you would never be in Jeremy's life...well, until now." You sighed, leaning back against the couch like Steve had done.