Screw it

WILL
Throughout the campaign, Mike had been acting suspicious. With Dustin and Lucas, he'd put them through challenging puzzles, he'd deduct lots of points from their health even if they got a small injury, he'd even make fighting back against enemies hard when it came to rolling the dice.

But with me, everything was easier. When it came to rolling the dice to execute an action against an enemy, he'd often let lower rolls such as 10-12 be the rolls that ar hard hitting. If I got injured during the campaign, he'd lower my points, but not by much. Most of the puzzles I went through were easier than the ones that Lucas and Dustin got.

So, when Lucas and Dustin went up to Mike's kitchen to get some more snacks, I wanted to make sure that everything was okay.

"Mike, is everything okay?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah. Everything's fine...why?" He asked, getting prepared for the next stage of the campaign.

"Oh, nothing." I decided not to go futher.

"If you think something's wrong, you can tell me..." Mike's hand ended up on the table, not moving.

"Nothing's wrong Mike. I was just...over excited about the campaign." I smiled, putting my hand on his. He didn't move. He didn't even flinch. His eyes looked at me, but I pulled my hand away before I could figure out what he was expressing.

Before either of us could say anything, both Dustin and Lucas came back downstairs, snacks and drinks in their hands.

MIKE (1 Week Later)
I became worried when Will went missing. Every day, I worried that he might have been dead. When we found El, I became hopeful that her abilities would be able to help find Will. I missed him so much. I felt weird after he went home by himself. He put his hand on mine and neither of us said anything. What he didn't know, was that my heart skipped a beat when he put his hand on mine. I felt something. I felt something that I had never felt before. No one had ever made me feel that special something before. I hoped that we'd be able to find him. I hoped that it wasn't too late. I hoped that maybe we'd be able to find and save him so I could tell him how I feel.
———
(1 Year Later)
Things certainly had changed since I came back. It had been a year, but people still acted like I was a freak, a weirdo, or as some people liked to call me: Zombie Boy. Sure, I expect this behaviour to happen, but I didn't expect it to still be going on a year after I came back.

I was either getting weird looks from other students and teachers. People were putting notes and/or my missing persons poster with drawings in my locker. Or people were just moving out of my way when I walked down the hallway, scared that I might have contracted a diseas while I went missing and supposedly "died".

The relationship between me and Mike was definitely different. He was being extremely nice and he was acting like I was a glass object. Every interaction that we had was the same. He'd say hello, we'd talk about the homework set or about some other random topic, then we'd walk to the same class, or go our separate ways until the end of the day. We hadn't talked about what happened before I went missing.

Walking down the hallway, I jumped a little when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I relaxed when I saw it was Mike standing behind me. Putting all my attention on Mike, he slightly towered over me. He looked like he had something to say. I was worried. He took a minute before trying to say something. Instead of wanting him to explain, I spoke, watching as Mike sighed in relief.

"Mike...about last year. Let's just pretend that it never happened. It's clearly affecting our friendship." I asked, sick of having to constantly think about last year.

"Screw it. Screw all of your words, Will. I want this. I want us. I want you and me." Mike admitted before pulling me in for a passionate kiss.

As we both pulled away, we noticed that there were a few kids in the hallway, but they were too interested in their own problems or situations.

Pulling him into the AV room, I locked the door, watching as Mike sat down.

"So, uh, what made you come to this decision?" I asked, sitting beside him.

"Well, I, uh, I've had a lot of time to think. When you went missing...I hoped that we could save you. I, uh, also wondered about us." Mike began explaining. Every thing he was saying...it made my heart flutter. I was happy that Mike had the confidence to tell me all of this.