CHAPTER 3 - Plucks

Start from the beginning

"Hello? Are you okay?" I shouted as I approached the man crumbled on the ground, not far from the gates.

"Sorry, that's a stupid question. You're clearly not okay." I chuckled nervously, standing over the stranger and looking down at him. "Do you want me to call the ambulance?"

Another pained groan.

"Is that a yes?" This time he grunted. "Okay, two grunts for no and one for yes." My response was two grunts.

"I don't think that's wise, you need to get looked over."

"No."

My eyes widened at the deep voice. We upgraded to verbal responses?

"Okay, since you feel so passionately about it. But you're in luck, I took a first aid course over the summer so I can look you over. If I think anything is broken or dislocated I'm calling the ambulance alright?"

I think he may have mumbled 'go away' but I ignored it and started my examination. "Are you able to sit up?"

With a heavy sigh he did just that, managing to lean his back against the gate. I crouched down next to him, making sure my phone was securely in my purse. This could be an elaborate scheme to kidnap the girl stupid enough to jog this late, after all.

I started my examination, which was literally me just staring at his body. He was wearing a black motorcycle suit that blended in with the night. There were a few rips but nothing major, I thought. I wasn't too sure.

That much must have been obvious because my patient glanced up at me. "It's too dark to examine me, lady."

"You're right." I nodded and straightened up. "Ambulance it is."

He weakly lifted up his fist in protest. "Don't call an ambulance." The order was clear in his voice despite his fragile appearance.

I bit my lip unsurely. Listen to the clearly injured man or ignore his wishes? He could be internally bleeding and if something happened that would be on me.

"The best thing you can do for me..." I leaned forward when he trailed off. "Is check the motorcycle."

Um.. okay. I nodded and jogged off to where I saw it crash. One look confirmed it was definitely damaged beyond repair. After a closer look my jaw dropped open and I ran back to the stranger.

"Dude, you were driving a Harley Davison 1998?" The words left my mouth in a furious exclamation. "You crashed a Harley Davison 1998? Are you insane?"

I was met with a blank stare. Well, I assumed it was as his helmet was still on.

I sat down next to him. "That's literally my dream bike. Okay, maybe not dream but at least in my top five. What happened? Did you black out when driving?"

"I crashed it on purpose."

My eyes widened and my head reared back. "What, why? And be careful who you say that around, that bike is sacred. You could get hung or something."

Another pained breath. "Cos it's stolen."

Oh.

At my silence he reached up to remove his helmet but I immediately stopped him. "No, I can't see your face. I don't want to be an accessory to your crime."

He sighed and dropped his head back on the gate. "Weirdo."

I snorted. "Delinquent. Who crashes an expensive motorcycle on purpose?"

"Who jogs at night for fun?" He retorted. I lifted my finger.

"A lot of people, actually. And it might not be for fun, I could be training for a marathon."

"That proves my point. No self-respecting person runs a marathon."

"If you're lazy just say so, man."

His helmet clad head turned in my direction slightly. I could practically feel his piercing gaze. "A lot of talk for someone I could easily overpower."

The corners of my lips turned up and I kept my gaze on the park to our far right. "You can barely stand. I could beat you up with my eyes closed."

A deep, belly laugh that scared the crap out of me emitted from the delinquent at my side.

"What's so funny? One punch and you would be knocked out." I carried on, slightly offended and he started wheezing, waving his hand.

"Stop," He gasped. "My stomach hurts."

"I don't get what's so funny."

"When you get home take a deep, long look in the mirror then you'll get it." The Harley Killer advised me. He let out another small chuckle. "Beat me up. Absolute gold."

"You seem to have recovered then." I snapped, fed up with his laughing. Sure, I wasn't built like a bodybuilder but I could be intimidating sometimes.

"It's the adrenaline."

I shot him a deadpan look, but I wasn't sure he could see my expression properly. The criminal shrugged and before I could stop him, he opened the visor on his helmet. It was too dark to make out the colour of his eyes but I could feel the intense stare. He looked younger than I thought he was.

Of course, a staring contest commenced. We silently watched each other, and it remained like that for a few minutes before he coughed and I smiled victoriously.

"Why are you still here?" He asked.

"Making sure you don't pass out," I shrugged. "Since you won't let me call the ambulance. Which makes sense considering you're a criminal."

He didn't deny the accusation. "Look, you don't have to stay around. Just help me over to one of the benches."

I sighed and stood up, offering my hand. I nearly buckled under his weight as I pulled him up. Was he heavy or I was just weak? We slowly made our way over to one of the benches and sat down with some space between us.

I observed the wide landscape of green grass that ran for miles and a small pond in the corner. There was a play area for children which was sanctioned off after the swing broke with a kid on it.

Looking at the night sky, sitting next to a potentially dangerous stranger and reflecting on my day, I was hit with a philosophical mood.

"They say the sun is also a star. But it shines so differently from these ones." I gestured to the blanket of stars above us. "It takes millions of stars and the moon to produce the same amount of light the sun does, on its own. Isn't that funny?"

There was a pause. "What the hell are you talking about?"

I let out a peal of laughter, hunching over. "I don't know, I think I'm losing it." I admitted once I sobered up. I glanced at Motorcycle Guy. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"Yes." After a moment of hesitation, he asked. "Not that I care, but will you?"

My smile faltered and I shook my head. "No."

His eyes narrowed at me. Under the lights I could see they were a pretty pale green colour, contrasting his olive skin.

"You'll be fine." He decided, then waved a hand to dismiss me.

I nodded and resumed my jog back to the house, leaving the stranger on the bench, watching the stars.

Leaving the park meant I was walking back into my reality, a thought that deeply troubled me. But if chance encounters with random people were becoming part of it, then I could live with that.