Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw

Start from the beginning

Verde could feel her chest beginning to ache as she nodded her head. A lump formed in her throat, making it difficult to breathe. Raven opened her eyes, looking at her with a solemn gaze. "... Will you do alright? We're going up against the thing that killed him. And if you're really going to start drinking... Could you do it?"

"... I-I..." Verde paused to wipe at her eyes before looking back up at Raven. And to the Huntress's surprise, she gave a small smile. "... I am going to be fine, Ms. Branwen. Because with Vao d... D-dead... I don't have a reason to hold back. I don't have a reason to care. If it came to my own death... I don't have any qualms. Because in the end, would living be worth it? I'll never wake up to see him again."

Raven shook her head, leaning forward to take Verde's hand in her own, stroking the back with her thumb like a mother would. "You're too young to be thinking that way, kid. You're only eighteen."

But Verde pulled her hand away, standing up on her feet and looking away. "... I am not dumb, Ms. Branwen. By the time we reach Salem... Most of us will be dead. I am no exception. So knowing my fate, why fear it? Why worry, when there is nothing to look forward to in the first place?" Verde turned, walking towards the door slowly. And as her hand rested on the brass knob, she paused. She turned her head towards Raven, but didn't look at her. "... But when I do encounter Salem... I won't die without a fight. That thing... Cnimbrerh... It killed Vao. It killed my world. And that's why I will do whatever it takes to win. Even if it destroys me."

She pulled open the door, taking one step out. And before she left, she said the last words of their conversation.

"... Even if it means breaking promises..."

Verde closed the door behind her, leaving Raven alone. The older woman stared after her, feeling the tears trickle down her cheeks. She wiped them away furiously. She hated that weakness more than anything. She reached towards her desk, picking up her weapon and staring at it for a moment. Staring at her own reflection.

And then realized something.

Verde had said Salem's true name. A secret that was guarded tightly. A secret Ironwood would never have told her. And looking up, Raven began to ask herself questions. How much did Verde know about the abominations? About Salem?

... She didn't have time to think about that. Standing up and taking another sip from her whiskey, she began making her way out the door.

It was time she stood up and did something. Verde was right; Salem couldn't get away with this. Vao, as violent as he was, had been harmless. Another innocent life it had crushed under it's terrifying heel. Raven growled as she pulled the door open, making her way down the halls.

It was time Raven acted like a Huntress.

...

The ride to the Innsmaw was silent as Raven drove down the desolate street. Y/N was sitting in the front seat, staring out the window.

Raven had decided to skip the Club altogether, and just go afterwards. Y/N was beginning to regret not preparing at the Club, and maybe even taking a few guys with them. Her hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, her eyes set dead ahead.

He felt something bad was going to happen. Behind him, Verde took a sip from Vao's flask as she read her book, shocking Sasha - who was forced to have Cardin sit in her lap because of her sheer size. The ginger felt like a kid, and it made him confused about what exactly he was into.

"Verde! What the hell are you doing!?"

"Drinking."

When she said that, Y/N spun around. "B-but I thought you didn't like drinking!?"