Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"That is part of the problem Eliyah. I don't know how to force a conversation with you." He jammed his hands in his pockets getting frustrated with the entire situation. "this entire evening is a sham. The dinner and everything are a plot by our parents to get us together." He shook his head gesturing towards her. "its not about you. You're are a very beautiful woman and hell; any man would feel privileged to be in my position right now. You can have any man you want eating out of your hand if you want but it can't be me. I have someone else that I am in love with and it would be unfair to all of us if we force ourselves to pursue a relationship that was already a sinking ship from the beginning.

"I don't understand," Eliyah confused eyes met his, "what are you saying Tan?"

"I'm saying that I'm not interested in courting you as our families would want. This dinner was pointless. I have no intention to pursue a relationship and you shouldn't either."

"Jerk." Eliyah said with spite then she pushed past him, descending the stairs.

"Wait, what?" Tan sputtered.

"I called you a jerk Tan." Eliyah felt thee irritation rise up in her stomach but she forced herself to stay calm. She was not aware of the fact that her parents were trying to match her up with Tan. She was ignorant about whatever plans their families were scheming up and it was not fair that Tan was treating her like a desperate woman craving his attention.

"Hey, what are you getting upset with me for? I thought you'd welcome the idea." Tan threw his hand up.

"I'd enlighten you then even though I as denied that benefit." Eliyah said, her eyes brimming with seriousness. "if you must know, I had no idea that our parents were trying to put us two together, I sure as hell didn't know that that was what the dinner today was about. I genuinely came here today for a 'family dinner' and to see an old childhood friend." She shook her head. "I am hugely disappointed in the man I am seeing in his place."

Tan ran his fingers through his hair as the feeling of guilt started to set in. Eliyah was just as innocent in this sham their families were coming up with. If anything, she was a victim. At least he was given the privilege of knowing his fate. Hers was decided for her without any consideration what her choices were.

"Eliyah. I'm so sorry for how I treated you earlier. It was immature and cowardly. I thought avoiding you will fix everything." Tan said going down the stairs to stand by her.

"Well it didn't fix anything. What did you think was going to happen huh? Maybe I'll go home and tell my folks you don't like me so they should call it off?" Eliyah scoffed when he didn't answer. Deep down Tan really did think everything would be solved if he ran away from his problems. "we'd have avoided this awkward and distasteful conversation if you could have just spoken to me like an adult."

Eliyah rubbed her eyes and let out a sigh. "look here Tan, I, more than anyone else, understand what it feels like to be from a family that have certain expectations of you. I don't have any feelings towards you, and if I'm being honest, I like someone else too."

"I feel like such a jerk right now." A short laugh escaped Tan when he realized he used the word she had originally described him with.

"Yes, you are but its alright." She replied with a short laugh of her own. "You have to stop succumbing to your parents demands and actually start living for yourself. It won't stop. They are going to keep manipulating you until you lose yourself in their demands. If you really love this girl, you have to start making sacrifices to make you both happy."

He knew she was right. He had to stop his parents from continuously trying to manipulate every aspect of his life. He could not stand to bear it anymore. He loved Gabrielle so much and she had already been through a lot because of him. Even if he denied his father what he wanted of him, Gabby would take the brunt of it. She could lose her deal and all her hard work would go down the drain.

"I hear you, but honestly, my thoughts are conflicted right now. I really appreciate how supportive you're being and I'm grateful for the advice."

"we should probably head back down before thy start picking out baby names in our absence." Eliyah said sensing that the discussion was over. Tan smiled at her attempt to make a joke out of their situation. He was so up in his head that he'd forgotten how fun Eliyah could be.

"Yes, somehow I don't think they'll let us have even that."

They both walked down the stairs and headed to the dining area.

"You're back," his mother began, "what do you think about the paintings Eliyah? You were away for quite a while." Tan rolled his eyes at how ridiculously obvious his mother was being.

"It was entertaining Mrs. Lee. You were right. I did enjoy them."

"Oh, that's lovely my dear."

"We were just talking about how you would need a sturdy girl that will bear us fine grandchildren." Yohan Lee said bringing everyone's attention to why they were really gathered. Tan's face turned hot at how misogynistic his father sounded. He didn't let it faze him though because he knew if he let him win right now, he won't get another chance again.

"I believe I am quite capable of finding a wife for myself and whether or not we have grandchildren is solely our choice, don't you think?"

His mother shot him a glare telling him with her eyes to stop talking. The only way he could ever pass a message through to his parents was by embarrassment and if he had to do that that to force them to stop trying to hook him up with a 'sturdy girl', he had no qualms with it.

"Come on Eliyah," Mr. Park said as he makes an attempt to stand up. "we are leaving."

"No don't worry, I'm leaving. I have somewhere else to be anyway." Tan stated standing up and placing the chair back in its position. "Eliyah and I should be the best and only judge needed in choosing who we'd like to spend the rest of our lives wit, not you and definitely not my parents either."