PART 2 - FIRE BIRD

I slept on and off, drifting in and out of a bad dream I can't recall. I don't know why I feel relieved when I see Nia stretched on the bed with my blanket under her and her pillow on the floor. I try to dig out the blanket, but she groans, curls, and wipes the drool off her lips. Wish I could be as carefree.

As soon as I step out of bed onto the cold floor, my feet buzz. I shake my head and settle back on the bed with a faint headache still thrumming behind my left eye.

"You okay, Maa?" Nia asks, rubbing her eyes.

"Just a little headache."

"Must be your sugar again. Let's get you some tea and biscuits." She yawns and drags her feet towards the kitchen.

"The biscuits are on the top shelf," I mumble, close my eyes, and lean against the headboard, massaging my temple.

She returns with tea and biscuits and yawns again. "What's your plan?"

"Paperwork." I sip the warmth. "Yours?"

She sits up. "I have an idea. But you have to promise to listen to me."

"And I was wondering why you made me tea today."

"It's your lucky day, Maa." She ties her hair, "Get ready and let's go."

"Where?"

"To your gallery."

"You want to bunk classes?"

"Classes suck —"

"Language, Nia."

She rolls her eyes. "Fine. But you promised you'll listen to me."

"I never promised."

"C'mon, Maa. You are so... Just do this. I will complete all my notes. I promise."

"God's promise?"

"Mother's." She winks. "Now get your ass moving and get ready."

I swing my arm to hit her, but she jumps off the bed and disappears into the bathroom.

My headache feels better. We both get ready, and Nia leads us through the traffic on her scooter. When I park my car, she's at the door with a coffee from Starbucks.

"You drive way too fast," I say.

"And you are way too slow." She pushes the door open.

"Revati auntie is in there. Let me do the talking." She zips her lips.

"Good morning, Auntie."

Revati scowls. "Don't call me Auntie, you brat."

"Aww! But you are a senior citizen." Nia winks and drops her bag on the floor.

"Just a few years older than you." Revati frowns but eases on seeing me. "How are you, Reena?"

"Better." I settle on the chair.

Nia slants her gaze at me and raises a finger to her lips. I nod.

"What's going on, you two?" Revati raises an eyebrow.

"Coffee?" Nia extends the cup toward her.

"You're bribing me?" Revati takes the cup.

Nia trudges through the gallery, feeling the walls. "Where are all the paintings, Auntie?"

"It's Revati. Not auntie. We are winding up the gallery."

"These walls look so sad," Nia says.

My eyes meet Revati's, and she sighs.