Chapter 1: The Fenrir Far East Branch

Fenrir. Humankind's Last Fortress. Well, at least that's what the director called it. I shook my head at the memory. Everything happened so fast it was kind of a blur. I was brought here; a bit forcefully I might add; because I was apparently supposed to be a match for one of the New-Type God Eaters.

'New Type'. I guess I'll soon find out whatever that means. I had been taken to a large spacious room, where the man who introduced himself to me simply as the 'director', ordered me to stick my hand into a large red case of some sort, which stood in the centre of the otherwise empty room. I shuddered, as the pain I felt when the case clamped down on my arm came back fresh in my mind. The result was a sort of...well it was too large to be called a bracelet but still, I had some sort of armlet clamped tightly on my right wrist. It looks...permanent. There was a stupidly large blade in the case which I was ordered to pick up. I remember thinking it was a joke at first, but the sterness in the director's voice told me otherwise. Picking up the large blade with surprising; somewhat alarming; ease, a thin black material extended from the base of the blade, attaching itself to my armlet. I could feel it injecting something into my body, and I remember my right arm was covered with black veins temporarily. I guess we bonded.

But apparently, all that weirdness meant I passed the aptitude test and was now officially the first New Type God Eater of the Fenrir Far East Branch. I shuddered again, trying not to think of what the alternative outcome of the test would have been. From there it was a literal blur of procedures; a bunch of registrations, room assignments, filing away my new weapon in storage, even changing into a brand new outfit which, I guess I wasn't really against. I doubted my worn out clothes would have made much of an impression on the monsters we were supposed to fight. I sighed, gripping my new black and blue Fenrir issued jacket tightly as it all came back to me. Monsters. They were called Aragami. I managed to get to the city here a few weeks back, but the rest of my party didn't make it. They all fell victims to the aragami, in one way or another. In a way, I suppose it's fitting that I become a God Eater and joined the fight against the aragami, at least in honor of the memories of everyone and everything I've lost. Because frankly, I had nothing else to lose.

I shook my head, just about done with the reminiscing. My eyes went round the room in which I currently stood. It was another large area, but this time it was populated with a few people. From the way they were dressed; and the armlets on their wrists; I could tell they were God Eaters. Most of them, anyway. There was a reception desk, behind which a young ginger haired girl; probably around 18; stood attentively, tapping away at her keyboard, while also attending to several God Eaters in front of her. I spotted a place to sit in the far left corner of the room, so I moved to take a seat. There was already a boy seated on the bench there, and he turned to me as I sat. He looked ordinary at first glance, but then I noticed he also had an armlet like me and all the other God Eaters.

"Hey, you want some gum?"

I blinked once. Twice. "Uh...what?" The boy reached his hand into his pocket, then shook his head, "Oh, I'm all out. Looks like I just used the last piece. Sorry 'bout that" I raised my hands in front of me and gave him an awkward smile, "Uh, no it's okay really. Thanks anyway...I guess"

He nodded with a smile of his own, "I'm Kota Fujiki. You?"

 You?"