To The Ground We Return

Tags HERE because each story will have their own: (and because wattpad tags are weird compared to AO3)

Graphic Depictions of Violence, Major Character Death, Original Characters, Oonoki (Naruto), Namikaze Minato, Hatake Kakashi, Original Female Character(s), One Shot, Iwagakure | Hidden Stone Village, Canon Compliant, Angst, Child Soldiers, Child Murder, Manipulation, Propaganda, Minato But Iwagakure's Perspective, War Crimes, Third Shinobi War, Traumatized Hatake Kakashi, Implied/Refrenced Child Abuse, Glorified Child Kidnapping, Dubious Morality, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD, Implied/Referenced Suicide, OC-centric, Military Draft

1

She's five when a shinobi arrives in front of her home, holding up papers at their door as her mother sheds tears, holding her tightly while her father's hand clutches his head in agony.

"Please, not my baby. She's just had her birthday-- please."

The man with plain eyes shook his head, "I'm sorry ma'am. With the rising tensions in the borders, we need every able soldier to prepare. Your daughter has a lineage of successful Chunin parents, and that alone warrants her recruitment."

He hands her father the documents, a bright red seal stamped by the Tsuchikage himself.

"You are expected to enroll your daughter in this year's academy."

He leaves, and her mother only holds her tighter.

. . .

In the following month she's put in a room with kids around her age, ranging from three to five.

Their teacher, Nakamura-sensei, is missing a leg and his left eye, the telling signs of being gouged out. He's not young, but not old either.

One by one, he looks at the kids who watch him excitedly, and he shakes his head, sighing.

He briefly introduces himself on the chalkboard before starting his lecture.

From there, she meets Chiko-chan and Satori-kun whom she shares bento's with after morning class. Then gains a mutual rival through the form of Hochi-san with test scores and memorization.

She's put into a different class soon thereafter

Instead of boring lectures about chakra, they throw kunai and spars. She found she has excellent aim, but falters in spars due to her small stature compared to the rest of her class. But she manages, using her size to her own advantage and incorporating the flexibility of a young child into her own fighting style. She earns the approval of her sensei.

And then the war officially starts.

Teachers now eye her more than ever, and before she could even bond with another classmate, they move her to the next class. Then another, and another, until finally, she's put into the final class.

From there, they teach them elemental jutsus.

Her affinity is strong with Doton, and a minor with Suiton. She bashfully blushes when her teacher says she has a bright future when she successfully completes one of the jutsus that requires a large amount of chakra, and steady control.

After mastering three more, they give her a pat on the back.

Her mother nearly breaks down when she wanders back home with a note from her sixth teacher.

She's six, when they tell her that her chakra control was far above her peers, that her intellectual mind was above average, and that she'll go far. That she would graduate to become a splendid shinobi to protect their village.