XXII • A brush with war

Start from the beginning

It was almost as though he was deliberately trying to make her angry. But he wouldn't do that. What could he possibly have to gain from it?

The satisfaction Theodore was desperate to obtain from the undoing of Aurora was becoming far too sweet to be patient for. He wouldn't let it slip from his slender fingers that day. No, he planned to release it. His own feelings of detest were on a high that day, something was bound to go wrong, in order to prevent something bitter occurring to him, he figured he should direct the inevitable incident towards Aurora, that would surely brighten his sour mood.

He stole a glance at her from across the hall, she was smiling. He felt his jaw tighten. It was such a fake smile, he looked around to see if anyone else noticed the unreal expression she was wearing, he wasn't surprised when no one did. She was good, too good. Theodore promised to be better.

He had managed to strike Aurora to the edge before all he needed to do was to guide her down it. Once the right amount of pressure was added, he would get the front row seat to the viewing of the real Aurora Flores.

She laughed. Fake. He rolled his eyes for what felt like the tenth time. To describe that laughter you would be describing a sweet melody, he knew it wasn't at all real. Where was the obnoxious boyishness in her cackle that would make eyes widen from all angles? Everyone had one of those laughs, he hated that she hid hers.

Not because he liked her or anything. No. He just found it utterly pathetic that she wasn't real with something as simple as her laugh. He had noticed that in her efforts to hide her real persona she had become a pathological liar. He hated liars and he hated her. Win win.

He was enthralled to get the sight of her ever so raw. He had been for months. There he was about to officially unlock it. He couldn't wait.

Across the room, directly in his line of sight, Aurora laughed a gentle chuckle. Ron had received a quick beating from the two girls who sat either side of him, Ginny and Hermione didn't appreciate his nasty comments about their  gender. Aurora threw a grape at his head in retaliation to his poor joke.

"Say you're sorry." Ginny raised her right fist high prepared to strike Ron if he dared utter the wrong words.

"Okay I'm sorry I'm sorry." He laughed into his arms of which he used to seek shelter behind.

Regardless of his apology the youngest Weasley hit him repeatedly on the back of the head. No one bothered to help Ronald, all too amused at the chaotic sight.

The Gryffindors left for class in playful manners stealing any opportunity to tease Ron for the red marks that littered his usually porcelain face.

The younger bunch left to potions while Aurora drudged with her head low towards Defence against dark arts. That had become her least favourite class, she made a point to keep her head low and to remain unnoticed. She didn't need to bother Umbridge any further, for the consequences would most definitely ricochet back to Rory.

George and Fred grasped each of her arms as they dragged her to class.

"I don't want to go." She whined head thrown back as they practically carried her towards Umbridges class room.

"We know." Fred started.

"Trust us, we of all people understand." George followed.

"But you missy, will be dead if you try to skip this lesson" The former finished.

"I don't care, you guys are skipping why can't I?" She was almost on her knees.

They shot her matching stern looks. "Because you can't now suck it up." They spoke in sync before throwing her into the room.