XVIII • Drowning sorrows in thick liquor

Start from the beginning

Opening the first one, she read the remix of letters written in a curved font.

Rory,

It's your mothers birthday as I'm sure you are aware. I'm certain you also know that it's her first one since her passing. My condolences.

In this letter I give you my best of wishes from afar. I hope for you only the best. Your mother was a wonderful woman, I don't doubt that you will be same.

I understand that it's a difficult time, just remember to keep on fighting.

- Sirius.

Aurora smiled. It was a lovely letter, she never failed to appreciate Sirius's efforts. His kindness would always be accepted. To think, two years ago she thought him a murder.

The other two letters were sent from Remus, Tonks and Molly. The kind souls wished her mother a happy birthday and a heartfelt message for Rory. Although the words didn't come from any of her relatives, she still felt better.

Harry, who sat next to her nudged her from his side. She nudged him back. It was an unspoken show of support. She appreciated it. Harry was the only other person at the table who had experienced the loss of a parent. He had lost two, although he ceased to remember them, he was the only one who could understand the longing.

After her breakfast was over she abruptly stood up. Everyone else there followed. Even Ron, who hadn't finished his meal, now that was surprising. She chuckled, "Please, I'm only going to the bathroom." They all sat down in a pace so slow she would expect better from snails.

"Rory." A voice yelled from across the room. She nearly laughed, the ever so beautiful Daphne came running. How could Rory expect to get through the day without a certain blonde Slytherin coming to her rescue. It shocked Rory to see a little brunette following her. Astoria.

She looked like her older sister. They shared many features, their noses and eyes the most recognisable. They of course assumed they looked nothing alike due to the difference in hair colour. Little Astoria was a year younger, a sweet girl like her sister. Compassionate she was. Cursed she was too.

She knew that the younger Greengrass sister suffered from a blood curse, it never failed to make Aurora shiver. She hadn't exactly become close with Astoria but they certainly held a mutual respect and liking for one another.

Before she could actually say anything she was squashed between the tight grip of Daphne. The air had been snatched right out of her, near winded in the stomach she winced at the force.

Daph had a hold on Rory like no other, both physically and literally she was being squashed in the love of the blonde. Astoria could see the life practically leaving Aurora she struggled to breathe.

Her soft hand came to rest over Daphne's shoulder "Daph, you're killing her." The blonde let go of her with hesitance, her eyes swam with not sympathy but care. It's what Aurora actually needed. 

The light snake squeezed Auroras pink cheek. "How are you?" She smothered. Rory laughed as she rubbed the sides of her swollen face.

From behind Astoria spoke up. "We just got a letter from Mum, we heard about what day it it." She gave her a comforting glance.

"We just came to express our condolences and love," Daphne drawled. At her next words she smirked, "and to ask you, if you wanted to join us in the Slytherin Commons." Auroras eyes widened, she'd never been down there before.

Her first thought was what the place would look like, she imagined extreme class and wealth would radiate from it, she also predicted snake skin leather couches, or would Slytherins prefer the snakes alive? She didn't know