It was also odd, the way Dolohov had lost control over Harry...it was as if someone had confunded him.

Hermione tried to catch Snape's eye, but he turned away from her. Beads of water dripped down his sallow skin, and his eyes were like two tunnels, dark and unyielding.

Moments later Bellatrix hauled Hermione out of the boat, and everyone struggled to catch up with them.

Hermione was shoved into the tower and pushed up a long, spiral staircase that went on forever.

She tried to catch her breath as she climbed. There were only six Death Eaters. If she and Harry found a way to defend themselves, maybe they could escape...

When they reached the landing, there was a crash at the bottom of the stairs. Someone had thrown open the door.

The Death Eaters pressed themselves against the wall.

Dolohov came into view. He'd returned, soaked to the skin from the rain.

"The Magical Alliance is attacking our forces," he said, breathless.

They heard a distant clap of thunder.

"They laid siege to Voldemort's army at Inverness. They know we have Potter. Sebastián Arévalo is with them. His coven is merciless."

Bellatrix fought to keep her voice steady. "And the Dark Lord?"

"He is fighting. Edevane is commanding the army."

"The Arévalos in Britain," Yaxley repeated. "As if we didn't have enough with the Norwegian allies the Order procured."

Bellatrix ignored him. "We must go to the Dark Lord's aide!" she cried passionately. We must take Potter to him at once!"

Lucius scowled at her. "And if the Allies re-capture him in the midst of battle, what then? It's better to keep him here, locked away, until the skirmish is over."

Bellatrix looked at Yaxley. "Take Potter upstairs. We'll wait to hear news of the attack."

Yaxley gripped the hood of Harry's jumper and dragged him away.

"It will be the top of the tower for you, Mudblood," Bellatrix cried, seizing Hermione's arm and leading her up another set of steps.

Someone moved towards them.

"I'll see to the mudblood, Aunt Bella—"

"NO!" Bellatrix shouted, turning to look at Draco.

The light from her wand shone on his face, illuminating his white-blonde hair.

Hermione had avoided looking at him since they'd left the abbey. She felt her chest tighten as their eyes locked.

"Handsome, isn't he?" Bellatrix whispered to Hermione. "You should never trust a man with a face like that...with lips that tell lies and eyes that see right through you."

She laughed, turning to address her nephew again.

"You must learn to share, Draco. You've had your fun with her. It's my turn now."

She pressed her lips to Hermione's ear. "Quite the liar isn't he?" she said loudly.

Hermione flinched.

Draco stiffened, looking at his aunt with cold dread.

Behind the mad gleam in her eye, there was an intelligence that paralyzed him.

The way she was smiling at him, it was like she knew.

Did she see his failed attempt to curse her at the abbey? He couldn't be sure, it had all happened so fast...