Ride

"I asked for a skinny flat white!" A young woman with a lean figure screams, her skin flaring red in anger.

"Sweetie, I'm sure it was just a small slip up," the fuming blondes father attempts to ease her frustrations with a gentle tone. I lock eyes with him, reading the apology within his hazel orbs. I offer a forgiving smile as I stroll carefully over to the scene.

"A small slip up?" the girl challenges harshly.

"I-I'm sorry. Please allow m-me to get yo-" the barista stumbles over her words shakily, holding up her hands in surrender before getting cut off.

"No, please don't worry. My daughter is the one who's sorry," the father bows his head, ushering his daughter to apologize with his hand.

"Me sorry? The only sorry thing here is this girls mistake!" she snaps furiously.

"Sorry to interrupt, but could I assist you with anything by any chance," I confront the girl calmly.

"Oh good, the person in charge. You see this girl here doesn't appear to know what a skinny flat white is as she used normal milk," the blonde explains, leaning over her coffee I can tell her drink is in fact what she ordered and raise a curious brow.

"May I please ask how you came to that conclusion?"

"How? I tasted it of course, who do you think you are to question me anyways!" she growls.

"She's a barista, she would know," the girl behind the coffee machine points out.

"Oh yeah! Well, here's a closer look!" she chucks the hot beverage over me, the brown liquid burning against my skin as I flinch away.

The sudden sound of commotion causes many eyes to linger over to the uproar. "What do you think?"

"I think that it's time for you and your father to take your leave," I state sternly with a cold exterior, wiping my face down with my arm.

"Or what?"

"I will not ask you again," I bore holes into her with my stare, watching as she grits her teeth thinking of a retort. Her face contorts between expressions, fighting stubbornly to put up more fight against my stance.

"Ugh! Whateverrr!" she drags out her word, flipping her hair as she struts by purposely shoving she shoulder into mine on her way out. I watch as her father retreats behind her, a soft 'ding' of the doorbell indicating their leave. I release a breath of relief, relaxing my tense shoulders slowly.

My skin still stings slightly from the hot beverage, tainted red from the scolding. My uniform clings uncomfortably to me and my feet twitch impatiently within damp shoes for release. My deep chocolate roots scented with the strong aroma of burnt coffee.

"Oh my goodness! Are you alright?" the other barista worries, handing me some napkins.

I offer her a soft smile, "I'm alright, thank you. You look quite shaken up, why don't you take a few minutes. Don't worry I'll take over in the mean time." I walk around the counter towards her, watching as she opens her mouth to speak.

"Are yo-"

"You've done a good job," I pat her shoulder, stepping into her position.

She nods gratefully and takes her leave from behind the coffee machines.

I watch as she disappears into the back kitchen for a quick break then let out a sigh.

I attempt to soak up as much liquid as possible from my clothes with a few measly paper towels. Not too worried as I live five minutes away and will have plenty of time to shower and change into a clean uniform on my break. Flipping my hair up into a messy ponytail, I begin wiping the counter down and discarding the paper towels in the small trashcan beneath the table.