𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒.

—pairings: steve harrington x female!reader

—summary: once steve takes y/n on a drive under the stars, he finds it hard not to confess his love.

—warnings: friends to lovers, mutual pining, steve being such an awkward lovesick mushy mess, making out but completely sfw.

—word count: 1.5k

—additional notes: i actually wrote the start of the fic, including steve being 'head over heels' before including the actual song itself, so i'm taking that as meant to be myself <33

⋅𖥔⋅

For the past while Steve had been less hidden about his infatuation towards Y/n, it becoming unbearably obvious to everyone around. Kisses against her cheek when he couldn't help himself, looming over her shoulder so he could feel her close, complimenting her, calling any guy she interacted with an 'asshole'.

It wasn't until they were in the middle of their midnight drive, Steve driving down a lonely up-hill road and unable to stop himself from glancing at any opportunity, that he realised he did it again.

He had phoned her bedside telephone just a half hour before, knowing she'd be up to invite her on a drive. And now, after suggesting going to a secluded spot in the hills overlooking Hawkin's, the stars getting brighter between each song played on her mixtape, and the windows down to allow the nightly air to cool in, Steve realised Robin would be on the floor with laughter during shift the next day when he tells her, just a day after he denied those feelings once again.

Steve kept looking over, Y/n was in the middle of a long-winded ramble, the moonlight glow against her skin and the wind floating through her heavy knitted jumper over her comfy clothing to keep warm. Neither of them suggesting closing the windows.

Steve fell in love with her all over again.

And it was getting harder and harder to keep from telling Y/n everything, how cute he finds her right now, how he's been heartachingly head over heels for her ever since they met the day she accidently dumped her takeaway-cup of coffee all over Dustin's shirt in the middle of a friendly-debate. Eddie doubling over in laughter from beside as she apologised profusely.

He smirks to himself at the thought, looking to her once again as she continues her story, "—and Robin kept telling me to leave them, that Eddie knew what he was doing, but he seemed to really like the guy and I haven't heard good things about him."

Y/n stops talking, taking a deep breath after the stream of information as she leans back against her seat with a tired blink. "Then what happened?" asked Steve, while taking turns up the high road, a couple of miles out of Hawkin's now.

"Oh, I don't know, Robin dragged me away. I'm seeing Eddie tomorrow though, so I'll be sure to ask then," Steve chuckles lightly as Y/n fidgets with her fingers in her lap, but they freeze when Steve's hand comes into sight, plonking against her thigh with a light squeeze.

"You care too much, you know, gorgeous?" She looks to Steve, who is unbelievably attractive while driving one handed, focusing on the road ahead as they near the spot. "Can't help it," Y/n goes quiet, too focused on the way Steve squeezes her thigh again with a shake following.

And it feels abandoned when he pulls away, parking up at the lot looking over the entirety of the town of Hawkin's ahead, the midnight stars glooming down brightly, and the soft sounds of the radio.

There are a few cars spaced out between each side and Steve glances out his window where a group of girls can be heard giggling through their closed car as they all gossip. He turns back, turning the radio up a notch louder before his hand falls flat to the edge of Y/n's seat, open palm inviting her to hold his hand.