𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐅𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅𝐅.

—pairings: steve harrington x female!reader

—summary: when steve struggles to confess his feelings to y/n, the children help.

—warnings: a soft, very soft and stuttery steve! bickering and humour.

—word count: 3.6k

—additional notes: i hope whoever reads enjoys <33 feedback always appreciated :))

⋅𖥔⋅

Steve was growing more and more frustrated, hands stilling as they hold the money he's been trying to count for over five times. However, he is constantly being interrupted while doing so. Not by customers... well, not the usual ones anyway.

"Please, Steve! Just for tomorrow?". He groans, merging the notes into one hand to begin counting again, nudging the open register as he replies, "can you guys never give me a minute? Can't you see I'm trying to count here?".

"But it's Valentine's Day tomorrow and there's gonna be a ton of new stuff out!" Max continues, leaning against the counter to try and get their points across. "I already told you no," "but why not? You drive us everywhere all the time," Dustin began to argue, "not all the time—", "yes all the time, you can come with us if that's why you're being grumpy."

Steve tries to start counting the money from the till again, muttering the numbers under his breath as he goes through them. "Steve!" Dustin interrupts, causing Steve to throw his head back and slam his hands against the counter, "Good god! What? Why is it so important right now? I'm trying to work here!", "that's a first," Steve closes his eyes, "Lucas" his tone warning.

"We just thought—", "exactly, you just thought. You didn't know or ask what I planned on doing after my shift tomorrow, you don't know if I have a date or not, you just assume I wouldn't," Steve interrupts Max and the three teens all exchange a look between each other before Dustin asks, "do you?" his tone teasing.

"Well, no. But that's not the point, the point is..." Steve rushes, trying to make up some good point that will teach them, "the point is..." he repeats. Dustin folds his arms, head nodding to Steve, "yes, Steve. We're listening," he talks as if he's talking to a toddler, "... yeah, I'm not doing anything, you got me."

"Great. We'll get here at four, so when you finish you can drive us for the movie at five," Dustin sets the plan, the other two at either side of him nodding along while Steve shifts the money to one hand again while using his spare one to run across his hair.

"Listen guys, I can't always drop my life at the snap of a finger for you all, you know I would do anything to help you, but I actually was planning—" before he can finish, Steve's breath catches in his throat as he sees Y/n outside the Family Video window, waving at Robin who is sorting a display by the glass.

Steve freezes, somewhat in disbelief. He was just about to admit that he planned on asking a certain person out, and in she came on cue, as gorgeous as ever. He ignored the teens attempts in bringing him back to the zone, his focus too busy watching Y/n walk into the shop.

She had a soft smile upon her entrance, nearly causing Steve to melt on the spot. He didn't even notice his mouth had fallen slightly open as he continues to gaze at her in hopes that he can speak to her. But he always did anyway.

Waving to Robin, Y/n starts engaging in conversation with the girl and Steve closes his mouth to smile slightly at her warm nature.

"Playing dumb isn't going to work on us," Dustin comments after their multiple attempts of bringing Steve's focus back. Max follows Steve's gaze, landing on the added customer that's entered the store. She recognised Y/n from Billy's year in school, meaning Steve already knew her.